CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   no power from headlight? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/no-power-headlight-153172/)

reaper101 01-25-2015 03:14 PM

no power from headlight?

so to give you a lil info on my situation, i bought this bike back in july while i was out of town and thought it would be a fun project bike, well its been fun but also a headache my main concern i want to fix at this moment is get headlight to work from the bike the previous owner had turned it into a stunt bike but barely used it since he was at fort worth base deployed most of the time, he wired what seems like some cheap fog lights from walmart straight to the battery with a toggle switch under the seat to turn them on, i want to get reg lights back on and i can't seem to find out why theres no power coming out of where the headlight bulb goes, any ideas or pointers or clues? I'm kingda new to bikes but know a lil about them

wheelnut 01-26-2015 07:11 AM

get yourself a wiring diagram and a multimeter, you will need to follow the wiring for the headlight circuit, using the meter to test for power and continuity (use the ohms scale to check for breaks) check any earths in the headlight loom, it may sound daunting if you haven't done this before but once you have done it once you will be able to test and repair most electrical gremlins, keep us posted as there will always be some one to help

reaper101 01-26-2015 08:48 AM

ok tks ill start looking into that right away tks for replying i was starting to worry no one would give input,do i have to have the bike turned on to do this or just have the key turned? i already bought a new harness and slapped it on and the only thing that got fixed was the turn signals cause the relay was burned but can't find why the headlight won't work ill post pictures and maybe you can give me more pointers

reaper101 01-26-2015 09:45 AM

ordered another harness the one i have on is all burned up gonna see if that fixes the issue the other harness i claimed to have bought turned out to be for another bike doesn't look like the one specified for my bike so I'm crossing my fingers, looks like I'm getting voltage in tho from where i should i keep you guys posted :) happy days..

wheelnut 01-27-2015 03:41 AM

yes have the ignition on to check the power, have the headlights turned on (unless yours are on all the time), as with all electrical check the easy things first such as fuses, if your harness was in a mess this may be the problem, let us know how you get on

reaper101 02-01-2015 12:16 AM

4 Attachment(s)
just wanna start with saying thank you wheel nut you seem to keep an eye out to this thread and i appreciate it, also my f4i wasn't all together headlight wise so i don't know if there always supposed to be on i don't see a headlight switch so all this information assumes that they run all the time

ok so my new harness came in and it looks perfect nothing wrong other than a connector for turn signal that is cracked but looks fine, so i hooked it up right away to the connector and got my voltage meter out and still nothing coming from the lamp connectors. so i went to the relay changed it out with the one on my other harness and still nothing no voltage from the connectors so i took off the relays and checked the voltage and got 2 diff readings: black with red stripes with green produced 12v

and black with red stripes with white produced 12.4v

whats going wrong here? also i checked all fuses they were all good but also found this connection that isn't connected to anything can somebody look on there bike and tell me what it is that is supposed to connect too??? my bike works fine tho

also i want to get these lights working cause i want to order these and I'm pretty sure i have to have it working all correctly

HID projector KT-MT6D ( Dual Projectors )

this is the link to there wiring instructions>>>

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y7kckbac1x...01200X1191.jpg

wheelnut 02-01-2015 08:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
hopefully someone with the same model can tell you what the connector is for,
assuming you have power to the light relay is a good sign, if your lights are on all the time, you must have a main beam switch, put the lights on main beam and see if you have power for that, if this still shows no power, the fault lies in the wiring or earths, you have tried 2 looms and 2 relays(I think there is only one headlight relay), you say the previous owner rigged the lights from the battery are you sure the relays are ok, if you can test the voltage directly after the relays (the nearest connector block) with them fitted and see if you get power, if your getting power to the relays but not after this may be the fault, you can check your new loom with the meter on ohms and test each colour wire for continuity before you fork out for anything else, here is a wiring diagram to follow

Attachment 27974

reaper101 02-01-2015 10:24 AM

so im not understanding why I'm getting voltage but i got voltage but when i checked for continuity i got it when i checked black with red stripes and green and black with red stripes with white

wheelnut 02-02-2015 03:57 AM

im not quite following the above, continuity on the ohms scale can be used to check from one end of a wire to the other end to check for breaks in the wire, so you put one probe on one end and the other probe on the other end and the needle should swing or a reading will be shown, if you have a meter with a buzzer use this and listen for the buzzer, this will tell you the wire is unbroken, your headlight relay according to the diagram has black/red wire,blue wire,white and green wires. the black and red wire looks to be the feed wire from the fuse box, if you pull the connector from the relay set your meter dc volts put the red probe into the back of the connector on the black and red wire, put the meter black lead to a good earth, turn your ignition and lights on do you get a reading here, i will keep an eye open for the reply and try and guide you through it (but i am no exspert) but will do my best

reaper101 02-03-2015 02:08 PM

sorry for the confusion I'm and apprentice electrician and when we can find why something is not working we see to check if the leads are touching ground so we check it and thats usually the cause as to why the breaker tripped or not getting any power but i did that with the bike but still got power thats why i couldn't understand but i will try your way its just a tad bit cold at the moment to be in the garage since i already have a newer harness i grabbed the other harness that burned up and cut off the connection for the relay and soldered a wire for positive (the black with red stripe) and the negative ( if i remember correctly i used the white wire) just a as a temporary to power my low beam i only have one bulb at the moment, tks for staying with the thread