F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

no cash, no torque wrench, help?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 05:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no cash, no torque wrench, help?

i'm chaingin my oil tomorrow. my torque wrench (craftsman) crapped out on me. once the drain bolt is finger tight, how far shoud i turn a 3/8" wratchet to get the bolt tight without stripping any threads? also, with the filter, can i just go hand tight or do i need to snug it tighter (1/4 turn maybe) to tighten it enough? thanks all

Old 10-26-2006, 06:04 PM
Default RE: no cash, no torque wrench, help?

you can tighten it by hand, it doesnt need to be super tight. to be safe you should go ahead and safety wire it.
ive been told you just go hand tight on the filter, any tighter and it wont come off without a struggle.

Old 10-26-2006, 06:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you get a new crush washer? if so then when taht's crushed...that's it...
yea hand tighten the filter.

Old 10-26-2006, 07:15 PM

got a new crush washer. it looks like any old aluminim washer. the chic at the stealer looked it up on the computer to get the part number. tell you the truth, i've never been able to see the washer crush on any previous oil changes?[&:]

Old 10-26-2006, 09:10 PM
Retired Moderator & The Big Deal

Crafsman has a lifetime warrenty just take it back to sears and get another

Old 10-26-2006, 11:27 PM

not on clicker type torque wrenches.[:@] i figured i could just use some common sense to tighten the drain bolt. finger tight and about how much of a turn with a 3/8" wratchet. anybody got any idea for that?

Old 10-26-2006, 11:56 PM

[color=#330099]I just read in my owners manual that the filter should be torqued to 20 lbf-ft, and the drain bolt shound be torgued to 22 lbf-ft. I can't say for sure how tight you should make them by hand seeing as how everyone is different. Before you install the oil filter, rub some oil on the rubber seal making it easier to remove come next oil change. Now install the filter and tighten with both hands. You don't have to pop some viens doing so but make sure it's nice and snug. As for the drain plug, tighten untill you feel resistance, then give it about 1/4 turn.

Old 10-27-2006, 12:03 AM

experts, chime in. i just don't wanna butcher the drain pan threads in any way. i figure a little loose is better than a little tight

Old 10-27-2006, 02:08 AM

why not take the wrench to SEARS and get a free replacement on the spot? no hassle at all, even without receipt.

Old 10-27-2006, 03:20 AM

Oil filter, I always just tighten by hand, at least for my car. Oil pan, don't overtighten it. You can feel when it really starts to cinch down, you only need the slightest amount of pressure to keep the oil in, 20 lbs of force is not very much at all, so be VERY gentle. Honestly, oil isn't going to squirt out, but you very easily can overtighten the oil pan bolt and create a leak there. You should "know" when it's done, it's one mississippi going slowly past when it starts to give pressure back.

Quick Reply: no cash, no torque wrench, help?