F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

newb ? about installing led turn signals.

Old 11-01-2007, 10:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newb ? about installing led turn signals.

ok i have the new led turn siganls, the ones that lie flat on the side. I know how to install it, but with the wire connections, the led turn signals only have two wires, negitvie and positive. the stock ones had 3wires. negitive positive and some other green one. i played around to get the lights to get the new ones to work. and the way it works is that one connection box thing has a negitive and positve wire connection and the other box has some green wire. i pluged the new turn signal positive to the pos on the box and the negitive to the random green wire. i also did it reverse and it still works. i need to know which way is right to install it. i do not want to guess. it is hard to explain what i am seeing, but i could explain it better on the phone. if you get what im saying please explain which wire goes where. and by the way i have a 2001 cbr f4i. thank you

Old 11-01-2007, 11:14 PM
Ironmang
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: newb ? about installing led turn signals.

That green wire on the bike is always the ground. That same green wire runs through the whole bike and it always the ground. The other 2 wires are the positive, one for the running light and the other for the blinker. I don't have the wiring diagram handy right now, but if I remember correctly "I think" the wire with the tracer (stripe) is for the blinkers, and the solid is for the running lights. I think it's orange w/white stripe on one side and blue w/white stripe on the other. I could be wrong so if that doesn't work then it's the other wire. But I'm pretty sure that's right.

Now remember, LED's are polarity sensative, so the + and - have to be right or they won't light up. Easiest way if you don't have a test light, is connect the ground wire and then try the positive on each of the other two to find out which is the blinker, and tape off the wire for the running light so that it doesn't short out. I always just cut off the pigtail from the stock blinkers and wire them into that, that way you can just plug/unplug it into the main harness without having to cut into it

Old 11-01-2007, 11:17 PM
Banned

I am guessing that you are doing your fronts? The extra wire should be the running light. This one does not need to be connected. At least with mine it didnt. I cant find the wiring diagram I used, but I believe the solid wire is power for the running light. I used the hotbodies flush mount signals and it came with a diagram of what the colors meant on the package. Hope this helps.

Old 11-02-2007, 04:02 AM

LEFT SIDE:

orange wire (solid) is to the positive and the green (negative) is to the black... that's if you use hotbodies.

RIGHT SIDE:

blue wire (solid) is to the positive and the green (negative) is to the black... that's if you use hotbodies.

Old 11-02-2007, 08:22 AM

If you want to connect the third wire to have running lights, you need to add resistors to get it working right. Do a search if that's what you want to do, others have posted how-too's.

Old 11-02-2007, 01:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

or get a $10 multimeter at radioshack and check what voltages are on the wires... as you put on the blinker the blinker wire should go on-off-on-off indicated by rhythmic change in voltage. It'll even tell you if the voltage is going positive or not (for polarity)
multimeters debug a host of electrical issues if you can use them right... with stress on those last 6 words :P