F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

New tires, but of course a problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 08:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New tires, but of course a problem

I got my new tires installed this weekend. They are badass. However, I have this hangup with how the weights are installed. I had a set installed like 2 years ago by the same guy and it was perfect. This time, he said he couldn't use those center weights which attach to the inner bead of the rim because it should be placed where the spoke is. So now, he glued a weight to the outer lip of the rim. It looks like ****. I am furious. It rides fine as I have put it up to 80 with a little bit of vibration. But it doesn't look good and he mounted them on the right side of the bike. I like the bike to look good as well as perform, but now these things stand out and makes it look retarded.

Is this normal and am I just too **** about my bike, or did I get a screw and should go for a second opinion.

Old 10-22-2007, 08:50 AM
Default RE: New tires, but of course a problem

my weights are on the lips as well, but i have no idea if they HAVE to be placed there. all my bikes had them on the edges.

Old 10-22-2007, 09:11 AM

really. Ok thats a plus for them then. I am meticulous about keeping it clean and it looks kindda crappy. The guy told me he would look into getting me a pair that are flat black color so they don't stand out too much. The old wieghts like I said stuck on in the middle of the rim between the spokes alond the outer paret of the rim if that makes sense. Tough to describe without a pic I know.

Old 10-22-2007, 09:47 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems to me (I'm no balancing expert) he could split the weight difference, and usea clip-on on each side of the spoke. - I'd ask him to try that before even going with other stick ons...

Old 10-22-2007, 10:30 AM

have him break the bead and move the tire to a different spot on the rim...then rebalance

Old 10-22-2007, 10:41 AM

I was actually thinking bout that but he said he didn't have anymore of those balancers. Also said the balancxewrs that are on there now are better (more precise. It just irritates me. Also don't time this week or weekend to bring it down for him to make it right.

Old 10-22-2007, 11:12 AM

can't you just paint it black with a sharpie or a black paint pen. Its a wheel weight, nothing to ruin your day over.

Old 10-22-2007, 11:13 AM

Maybe I will try the Sharpy idea for now. If not, then ya gonna have to do something about it

Old 10-22-2007, 01:22 PM

ORIGINAL: pawnman

have him break the bead and move the tire to a different spot on the rim...then rebalance
EXACTLY!!!!

Old 10-22-2007, 01:57 PM

there should be a white dot painted on the tire. it's weighed/marked by the factory as the lightest part of the tire. it should be opposite from the valve stem but you can use that dot as a referance for where to put it when you check the balance of the tire. take the wheel off, get too equally sized wooden blocks and rest the axl on them and spin the tire. the heaviest part will haveh a tendency to rotate backwords towards the bottom. test a couple times, mark it, break the bead, rotate the tire placing the white dot opposite of the heaviest part, inflate, retest. if you can't get it balanced you're going to have to use clip ons or whatever. just paint them black. safer to have balanced tires than not so you can look good.

Quick Reply: New tires, but of course a problem