F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

NEW rider in need of a little help.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 07:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEW rider in need of a little help.

hello all. i purchased a 2001 cbr f4i about 4 months ago. it is great getting abike and seeing the community. everyone waves at eachother and i think its great that everyone has the common bond of 2 wheels, ive never seen that before with anything.

well i have a problem with my bike i hope you guys can help.

i went out earlier today for a small ride, as the weather was nice, and as im cruising at 63 mph, the engine cuts out and the "FI" light comes on in the instrument cluster. this happened for about 2 seconds, then the bike jumped back on and the light went away. now it does it very spratically and often and it is worrying me. please shed some light.

thank you for your time,
stuart

Old 03-15-2007, 08:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: NEW rider in need of a little help.

hmm I really dont know. How old is the battery?

Old 03-15-2007, 08:09 PM

im not sure.... it still has the same battery in it from when i purchased it...

does anyone believe that it could be "bad gas," since the "fuel injection" indicator is illuminating?

Old 03-15-2007, 08:13 PM

I think when that light comes up the entire bike dies but its starting back up from compression starting because its rolling. You can push start a bike just like you can push start a car. When you figure it out let me know because Im interested in the answer. Are there any other signs or anything else thats happening?

Old 03-15-2007, 08:22 PM

That FI light is indicative of some problem that occurred...
1> It's always on when the engine is not running. So the FI light coming on could be a consequence and not a cause of the engine going out.
2> If indeed there is a problem, the FI light comes on when the bike's computer detects the problem, say in one of the sensors or such. The many possible issues can be found in the service manual (check out stephygee.com for the manual)

One of the simplest problems could be your kick-stand sensor starting to give... if it suddenly informs the computer that the kickstand may be down, the engine will get cut off... and then the FI light will come on because it's off. But the kickstand is checked only if the bike is in gear. Does it cut off when in neutral?

If this happens when you're at 63mph, it might not be the battery, since when you're travelling that fast the alternator on the bike's supplying all the electricity.

Old 03-15-2007, 08:23 PM
IDL

Just remember not to wave at scooters.

Old 03-15-2007, 08:34 PM

i will experiment with the kickstand.

i understand about the light, but it seems to stay on a few seconds sometimes after the bike starts to run again... its very unpredictable.

i know the bike is restarting bc it is getting bumped started, but it turns completly off (loss of fuel, or ignition?) then turns back on when either of these two variables are once again present. and the tach goes all the way to zero when it is off, then comes back to operating rpm when it resumes, even though the engine is still turning at 5k (it is still in gear). so it seems like a computer problem to me? or am i mistaken?

Old 03-15-2007, 10:50 PM

hey fishyducky, quick question how hot is it outside where live and want the temp on the bike while you were doing your 60-65mph?

Old 03-15-2007, 11:01 PM

3 quick responses...

1. An electrical short somewhere, regardless of a sensor or not.
2. FI sensors, regulator getting hot, something along these lines, Vapor locking, clogging injector(s) (starving engine intermitently), etc...
3. Revisit above 2.

Let everyone know what the follow up was when solved. Best of luck on getting it working to get back out there and enjoy.

Old 03-16-2007, 12:45 AM

When you turn the bike on, without starting it, does the FI light flash? If so, count the flashes and let me know. There is also a way to pull diagnostic codes bu jumping across the two terminals on the self check terminal.

On the 01 remove the front seat. There is a two wire connector under there. Ignition off, use a paperclip or something to jump across the two terminals. Then turn key on and kill switch to RUN, but don't start the bike. Count the flashes of the light. If it stored a code, this will tell you. Let me know how many flashes and I will let you know the code.

Quick Reply: NEW rider in need of a little help.