F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

new rider looking for a starter bike

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 11:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: new rider looking for a starter bike

I am showing my brother which he doesnt know how to ride to learn on my F4i we both cant afford going out to get a 250cc motorcycle.

Old 12-12-2008, 11:35 AM

ORIGINAL: eljrc16

I am showing my brother which he doesnt know how to ride to learn on my F4i we both cant afford going out to get a 250cc motorcycle.
If you can't afford it... you shouldn't bother doing it.

used 250's can be found for good prices, considerably cheaper than used F4i's that's for sure.

Old 12-12-2008, 12:28 PM

ORIGINAL: Aken

ORIGINAL: StrikeAnywhere

Get a 2003 954 if you like Honda. They were still light back then and had more torque than a little 600, that torque will make it easier to ride, that way you'll be safer. 600's are too dangerous with those herky-jerky little rpm factories.
I don't understand this at all. How is a 600 a "herky-jerky RPM factory"? 600s don't make big torque until upper RPMs. Lower RPMs and proper clutch control make 600s great starter sport bikes. Besides, a major reason litre bikes aren't recommended for beginners is because they're not as forgiving in the event of a mishap. Accidentally crack the throttle during a turn or something, and you'll spin out, loop backwards, etc.

As someone who took the MSF course without ever having been on a motorcycle, then purchased his F4i as a first bike, I'd say it's a perfectly good beginner bike. But like any bike, it requires self discipline. Be careful, learn slowly, don't ride outside your limits, and you'll be fine.
Amore powerful bike safer??? I thought it was obvious enough that I was not serious. These threads pop up so often I figured I would give a different response for once.

Seriously though, buy that F4i. Mostly because for a used bike it will probably require little maintenance and they are known for running forever considering the thread starter is probably not yet ready to work on his bike everyday. Now somebody can point out the CCT to qualify their opinion.

Old 12-12-2008, 12:55 PM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I purchased my 2004 F4I, I had to ride it home and that was my first real[/i] ride. It felt really awkward because I was used to those 250's I was trained on, but after 5 minutes of riding the F4I, I felt like a natural because I had that training.
Yeah, I did the same thing; remember being pretty nervous. Trying tothink about everything the MSF class had taught me while leaving the lot. But after 5 min. it felt natural, and oh so nice. The next day I rode it for like four hours and even took it on the highway to see what the big deal was (people warned me about staying off the hwy.) and it wasn't.

Old 12-12-2008, 01:04 PM

is there any simaleraties to the small xmr zx 125 pocket bikes cuz i drove those a bnch of times. ethier way i am gana end up going to take that coarse but just want to make sure that i would be able to get home if not i think i am gana trailer i back and then go up and down my block and work from there intil the training schools open again
XMR zx 12

Old 12-12-2008, 01:47 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Incognito

When I purchased my 2004 F4I, I had to ride it home and that was my first real ride. It felt really awkward because I was used to those 250's I was trained on, but after 5 minutes of riding the F4I, I felt like a natural because I had that training.
Yeah, I did the same thing; remember being pretty nervous. Trying tothink about everything the MSF class had taught me while leaving the lot. But after 5 min. it felt natural, and oh so nice. The next day I rode it for like four hours and even took it on the highway to see what the big deal was (people warned me about staying off the hwy.) and it wasn't.
For me, I had conflicting stories about getting on the highway. But when I was talking about my bike at work (retail) a customer mentioned that it really wasn't nothing to it. He said he thought it was fun. I thought it would be scary. I didn't take the bike out on the highway for about a 3 weeks, and all I have to say is it takes getting used to hitting 90MPH with that wind hitting you hard

And now I just can't wait until this winter is over (or at least the end of winter when the temps here gets around 55F again so I can bring the bike back out.

Old 12-12-2008, 01:57 PM

A good starter bike is a cheap one. That way when you drop it you won't be too upset. Mine was a Ninja 500 I bought for $1500, rode it a year, put 10,000mi on it, and sold it for $1400. Poobably droped it/got knocked over like 5 times.

Guys I work with always ask for my advice but never listen. One bought a new R6, crashed it twice, and ended up selling it at a huge loss because he couldn't afford the insurance anymore. I offered to sell him the Ninja for $1000, but he wasn't interested.

A guy last week bought an 09 GSXR750, paid way too much for it, and already has messed it up.

Old 12-12-2008, 03:17 PM

ORIGINAL: JimT

A good starter bike is a cheap one. That way when you drop it you won't be too upset. Mine was a Ninja 500 I bought for $1500, rode it a year, put 10,000mi on it, and sold it for $1400. Poobably droped it/got knocked over like 5 times.

Guys I work with always ask for my advice but never listen. One bought a new R6, crashed it twice, and ended up selling it at a huge loss because he couldn't afford the insurance anymore. I offered to sell him the Ninja for $1000, but he wasn't interested.

A guy last week bought an 09 GSXR750, paid way too much for it, and already has messed it up.
And no matter how many times stories like this are posted and talked about, things will never change and people will do the same mistakes over and over again!

Old 12-12-2008, 05:29 PM
Banned

start small and cheap for a few thousand miles then get a 600cc sportbike. A small bike with less weight and power will help you become a better rider.

Old 12-12-2008, 06:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a ninja 250 and I have an F4i. Go with a ninja 250 or 500. It will make you a better rider. I started on an f2 went to f3 and then f4i I got a ninja 250 from my buddy in pieces this year and put it together. It is a blast to ride on. It makes a great bike to ride back and forth to work and you get a lot better at riding.

Quick Reply: new rider looking for a starter bike