F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

new rider looking for a starter bike

Old 12-11-2008, 05:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new rider looking for a starter bike

so i am intrested in buying a bike this winter for spring. Never even tryed to ride a bike yet besides the small 100cc ones and i found a nice looking f4i 2001 paint with 350z blue with 8500k miles going for 3200. i am about 5'9 150lbs just wanted to make sure i even have a chance to fit on it and if the bike is a good price and what to look for if i proceded to buy it. sry for the trouble of being a newbie but like to to look into thigns beofr i get ino it and thanks for all that reply

Old 12-11-2008, 05:29 PM
Default RE: new rider looking for a starter bike

yes its plenty big enough...probably too much IMO...i always tell people to start out on a cruiser since they are easier to learn on and more forgiving

Old 12-11-2008, 05:36 PM

Either an f4i or a ninja 250, which is what I started on. The f4i is a great bike, but accidently whap open the throttle (as most newbies are prone to wanna do) and you'll be sitting on your ***.

Take it slow on any bike you buy.

Old 12-11-2008, 06:09 PM

Get a 2003 954 if you like Honda. They were still light back then and had more torque than a little 600, that torque will make it easier to ride, that way you'll be safer. 600's are too dangerous with those herky-jerky little rpm factories.

Old 12-11-2008, 06:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm 5'9 and the F4i fits me fine, both feet can be planted the floor.

This is my first bike and I feel very confortable on it. I also took the MSS course which I ace'd. A bike is only as safe as the rider. I would just take an easy on it until u get used to it.

If I had the money to get my first dream bike it would of been a 2008 Suzuki sv650. I love the ful faired version. but too much $$$$ for insurance

Old 12-11-2008, 07:00 PM

I think a lack of low RPM torque makes the herky jerky 600's easier to ride for a beginner than a torque monster. See, the newbs are going to whack the throttle open, and less torque in that situation will prevent them from going *** over appetite. Or, well... make it less likely. Having owned a Ninja 250 and now own an '01 F4i, I'd say that below 5000 RPM, the F4i is very similar to the Ninja 250 at full power, in terms of power output. If you're mature enough to resist the temptation to crank the throttle open and/ or keep it below 5000 RPM for the first couple weeks, you'll be fine. Definetly not slow, but it won't lift a wheel or throw you off the back no matter what jackassery you do with the throttle. At least in a straight line.

Basically, here's the skinny- if you can respect the throttle, ANY bike will make a good beginner bike. However, the more low end torque the bike has, the less of a margin for error you have. If you've never ridden a bike of substance (a 100cc chinoscoot doesn't count), then an F4i at 2500 RPM will feel fast to you. If you're mature enough to respect the throttle, go for it. If you're not, well... only you can make that call.

Old 12-11-2008, 07:26 PM

ORIGINAL: Luck Runs Out...

I think a lack of low RPM torque makes the herky jerky 600's easier to ride for a beginner than a torque monster.

However, the more low end torque the bike has, the less of a margin for error you have. If you've never ridden a bike of substance (a 100cc chinoscoot doesn't count), then an F4i at 2500 RPM will feel fast to you. If you're mature enough to respect the throttle, go for it. If you're not, well... only you can make that call.

I must be the only one who thinks lots more power is waaaaay safer for new riders than a bike like an F4i that a skilled rider has the challenge of coaxing the power out of.

Old 12-11-2008, 07:44 PM

F4i is a good beginner bike with lots of room to grow with. You'll be fine.

Old 12-11-2008, 08:04 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My first bike is the 2004 F4I I'm riding. I took the motorcycle safety course and would recommend you look into it as well. It is pretty easy (for me at least it was) and it beats having to try and get your license straight-up.

I too believe that it is about the rider and not the bike, so whatever you get, just remember to respect the power and you'll be fine. Get good riding gear and take it easy on your first few rides getting used to being in traffic.

Good luck with whatever you buy.

Old 12-11-2008, 08:32 PM

First few bikes I rode were: 06 GSXR 600, 07 GSXR 600, 04 R1, 06 636. I just started riding at the end of our summer(septemberish) I fell in love with the GSXRs but heard good things about the CBRs and I came across an 01 that was cheap(2500) and picked it up. Havent had a chance to ride it yet but in all reality you could start on a Hayabusa its all a matter of self control.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: new rider looking for a starter bike