F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

New rider buying an F4i

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 02:07 AM
Registered Users
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New rider buying an F4i

Hey guys I'm buyin' my first street bike- tell me if you think this is a good deal-

2001 F4i
18,xxx mi.
Frame sliders
Flush mount turn signals
Yoshimura slip on? i think some kind of aftermarket slip on
Power commander
smoked windscreen

$3250

Sound good? I'm prolly gonna do it...I rode the bike, everything feels smooth, brand new brakes

Questions:

Any scheduled maintenence that's around 18, xxx?
Any other 18 y.o. with completely clean records that can give me an insurance estimate?
Overall good deal?
Has some minor scratches, but I figure I'll put it down any way
thanks

Old 08-06-2006, 02:32 AM
Default RE: New rider buying an F4i

Not a bad deal. At 16k they need valve adjustments according to the manual. See if that's been done or not.

Old 08-06-2006, 02:51 AM

Sounds good to me. I rolled over 18k a while back and there is nothing I know of as far as maintenence goes that you are supossed to do. My fuel pump blew but that's not normal for these bikes. I don't know what kind of insurance you want so the best thing for you to do is call and get a quote.

Old 08-06-2006, 05:16 AM
Retired Moderator

I ALWAYS think you should try for a little less (not that it is not a good deal). The worst he could say is no, and the best he could do is give you two or three hundred dollars back to spend on your safety gear. Other than that...GO FOR IT!

Old 08-06-2006, 12:17 PM

ORIGINAL: 97formulaws6

Has some minor scratches, but I figure I'll put it down any way
Hope you survive it.[]

I usually try to push new riders toward a smaller bike. If you have a good deal of dirt experience then you may be OK. If not at 18 you are probably going to crash that bike hard at some point because you won't have the skills to compensate for situations your ego is going to get you into. Nothing against you personally, the statistics are just stacked against you. If you start on a EX250 or EX500 or even a Hurricane you will be starting with a bike that has less posibility to get you to terminal speed in the blink of an eye.

If you get the F4i. Take it easy. One quick trip past 100mph can be your last. Make sure you budget for GEAR. Helmet, Jacket, and Gloves and a MINIMUM!

Take the MSF Course. It goes a long way towards you surviving your first year on the bike.

Old 08-06-2006, 01:28 PM

ORIGINAL: Blackdog F4i
Hope you survive it.[]

I usually try to push new riders toward a smaller bike. If you have a good deal of dirt experience then you may be OK. If not at 18 you are probably going to crash that bike hard at some point because you won't have the skills to compensate for situations your ego is going to get you into. Nothing against you personally, the statistics are just stacked against you. If you start on a EX250 or EX500 or even a Hurricane you will be starting with a bike that has less posibility to get you to terminal speed in the blink of an eye.

If you get the F4i. Take it easy. One quick trip past 100mph can be your last. Make sure you budget for GEAR. Helmet, Jacket, and Gloves and a MINIMUM!

Take the MSF Course. It goes a long way towards you surviving your first year on the bike.
Well said... In addition at 18 years old with no experience you're going to pay $2000+ in insurance on an F4i versus $350 on a Ninja 250.

Old 08-07-2006, 02:05 AM
Registered Users

Yeah, the valves have been adjusted already. Also, I've been riding dirt my whole life so I'm pretty good on a bike. I do plan on taking it easy for a while til I get comfortable on the bike. I've also budgeted for helmet, gloves and jacket. Once again thanks alot for the advice. First post and already great feedback. Thanks!

Old 08-07-2006, 02:14 AM

Well whatever you do, take it easy on it, not a toy.. and a +1 on the MSF course. i dont think anyone on here can emphasize the fact on taking that.

but anyways yeah im 18 years old and iv been riding for a little bit over a month, but i already have 1700 miles under my belt. its a great thing to get into, but u need to take it easy right when u get started. get used to your bike, which im still doing obviously. first day out i was riding so slow, but my buddy was a good enough friend to follow me around like 4 towns in his truck (which gets like 15mpg) allll day long, made sure no jerkoff tail gates me or anything, so i can go at my own pace.

my insurance for full coverage is 1200 a year i think, might be 1300 but i forget lol. and i go through Rider in NJ. They are really good, but u need to keep a clean record cause they r tempermental on stuff like that from what i hear.

Old 08-07-2006, 02:17 AM

im 19 and i pay $40 a month for full coverage on my bike on my own plan so what that comes to like 480 a yr and if i would of went with just liability it would of been 15 a month through state farm might i add, and personally i think a 600 is a great starting bike just know what u are capable of and take the msf course and keep ur eyes peeled. other than that sounds like a good deal i bought my f4i for 3700 with 23000 miles and no major mods so go for it but be careful it is alot of bike. at first i didnt believe how fast a 600 was and now i am very impressed there great bikes.

Old 08-07-2006, 02:21 AM

bump

Quick Reply: New rider buying an F4i