F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

New paint matches in the day but not at night

Old 09-30-2009, 09:54 PM
Default New paint matches in the day but not at night

I have a 2006 Yellow F4i and I just finished the split seat conversion. I purchased an OEM tail from Ron Ayers and brought it to a body shop for painting. The owner said he doesn't normally do motorcycle parts but his best painter will do it on the side. They've done good work before so I trusted the guy. I got the tail back the other night and when it's in my garage the color looks totally different! The new paint almost looks like a bright yellow with a greenish tint. Under sun light the tail is a close match (still not as good as I like though). Does anyone know what can cause this to happen? The guy used a computer to scan and mix the paint. He gave me some BS answer that I could only have it look good under 1 set of lighting conditions, either indoor or outside. Take a look at the pics although it's MUCH worse in person!

I'm planning to bring it to another paint and see if they can fix it. Does anyone have any suggestions or a a similar experience?. If I ask him to use colorite paint will I have the same problem?

Thanks,
Mark

This is how it looks in sunlight

Old 09-30-2009, 10:13 PM

I am getting my tire hugger painted. Get the paint code from the dealer to get the best match possible.

Old 09-30-2009, 10:18 PM

The color code is Y124P but could the color be shifting so drastically with different lighting because it's a pearl paint? Could I have the same problem with colorite paint (which is the factory brand).

Here's a link to the factory paint:
http://www.colorrite.com/matrix-colo...TOKEN=83827108

Old 10-01-2009, 06:20 AM

I have a hotbodies undertail that has the same effect. You can't tell as much with it mounted, because being under the bike it doesn't get much direct light. When I pulled it from the package and held it up to my gas ank though, it looked just like yours. I don't know about the paint itself, but you are getting the most complete color spectrum from direct sunlight. High Pressure Sodium (parking lot, pink tint) lighting is loaded with red, while most indoor fluoresent (garage) has more blue. This is why is doesn't always loom the same. Your bike does it to, but since the coloring is all a perfect match, you have nothing for contrast.

Old 10-01-2009, 02:13 PM

still looks good

Old 10-01-2009, 10:09 PM

I have seen two different kinds of yellows.. I have the color yellow on your tail on your bike and i have seen the honda F4 (carburated) with the darker yellow. With it being an 04+ maybe that has something to do with it. Because the 99-00 have the same naner seat as the 04+ f4i

Old 10-02-2009, 10:12 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM

Looks like there is too much green in the tail.. The OEM colour looks to have a lot more orange in it.

Old 10-03-2009, 07:42 AM
Ladies Lounge Moderator

Did you have them match the official stock color, or did you take the bike in and just have them look at it?

I'd say your best bet is buying the paint from ColorRite or some such- their OEM stuff has matched all our bikes perfectly.