CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   New OIL PAN FRACTURES???? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/new-oil-pan-fractures-129380/)

e3gordon 08-08-2011 06:15 PM

New OIL PAN FRACTURES????

2 Attachment(s)
You guys tell me is this for real??

Just received my replacement oil pan which i ordered for my 01 F4i from Service Honda.
Took about a week to get it and i opened it immediately as soon as i got home today. When i pulled it out of the box i was concerned as it looked not like a new item to me with very dingy color and smooth surface ares.

THEN i started looking closer on the inside of the pan and noticed like what looks to me as small fractures or cracks in the surface coating of the pan. They can be seen in the right side of the pic as well as by the left top side as well. I am going to Call Service Honda tomorrow but definitely would like some input from my fellow F4i'ers.

The markings on the bottom of the pan read:
METTS
MBW-1

thanks ..

Incognito 08-08-2011 07:30 PM

My guess, and I call it that because I don't have the actual part here to inspect it, would be that those are marks left over from the casting process and are not actual fractures in the metal. These are made using sand molds. For example, in the first picture on the upper left hand corner where there's that obvious imperfection, you will notice that the crack does not follow through to the machined portion of the aluminum.

You could, if you wanted to, probaby clean them up with a soft wire brush (brass) being careful not to damage the contact areas, but I don't see it as being neccesary and would actually advise against it. On the second picture around where the bolts attach the pan to the block, the metal does not appear to have been marred and is the same consistant color/finish as the rest of the surfaces. This would be indicative that it has not been previously installed.

You have to remember too that these are not newly manufactured parts, they're actually "new old stock", getting near to if not older than a decade since they were made. If you really were so inclined, you could take that part up to a polishing wheel and make it look like chrome.

e3gordon 08-09-2011 09:09 PM

Thanks I'm emailing some more pics to Service Honda to have them review and spoke with them today. Otherwise they want me to ship it back and then they have 2 weeks to review if there is actual issues with the part then another week to get it back....

Will post outcome when i get more info from them and thanks again!

Originally Posted by Incognito (Post 1088112)
My guess, and I call it that because I don't have the actual part here to inspect it, would be that those are marks left over from the casting process and are not actual fractures in the metal. These are made using sand molds. For example, in the first picture on the upper left hand corner where there's that obvious imperfection, you will notice that the crack does not follow through to the machined portion of the aluminum.

You could, if you wanted to, probaby clean them up with a soft wire brush (brass) being careful not to damage the contact areas, but I don't see it as being neccesary and would actually advise against it. On the second picture around where the bolts attach the pan to the block, the metal does not appear to have been marred and is the same consistant color/finish as the rest of the surfaces. This would be indicative that it has not been previously installed.

You have to remember too that these are not newly manufactured parts, they're actually "new old stock", getting near to if not older than a decade since they were made. If you really were so inclined, you could take that part up to a polishing wheel and make it look like chrome.

stingray 08-10-2011 08:30 AM

casting marks, no worries man. mount that thing on there and ride.