F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

New member. Streetfighter project. Few initial issues.

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 08:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member. Streetfighter project. Few initial issues.

Hello all,

I am a new F4i owner not new to the two wheeled world. Owned previously a sv650 and now I have a Kawasaki 636 as well.

I picked up this f4i from a friend who wrecked the bike. The front end was a total loss, as all the plastics, and tank. Looked like this...

Through some slow part gathering i really picked up the pace on the project, was going to be a stunt bike, going for just a streetfighter look now. Overall idea is all black look with dual dominator headlights and a clean feel. Currently she looks like this.

As of a week ago it is finally running, with some issues. Id like to list them to see if anyone can give me some tips and places to begin troubleshooting:

1) When I first got it running it would idle crazy high, since then it has calmed down a bit. The issue i get now is after riding for a short time the bike will cut out when i come to a stop. Sometimes the fuel pump will not want to kick on right away but what i noticed is if I disconnect the box that would be sitting on the headlights normally and re connect it, I can engage the fuel pump and fire up again.

2) Electronics, at first the horn worked fine. From what i know the turn signals never worked along with the lights, and neither did the headlights. A few days ago i connected lights to the brake wires to test them and they worked, actuated when i applied the brake. Few days on, the brake light no longer works and I cant get the horn to work for the life of me ?!?

Im sure ill have more issues but for now id like to make sure all the electronics work before i figure out how to conceal the harness.

Old 05-03-2013, 08:54 AM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Welcome to the CBR Forum Kamilo,

I always like to see a bike resurrected and it looks like you are well on your way. Thanks for the pictures

Hopefully someone with a little more knowledge on 600 electrics than me will be along shortly to offer suggestions to solve your problems.

Cheers, SB

Old 05-04-2013, 08:30 PM

The little box your unplugging up front and replugging to make things work is probably the "tip over switch" they can go bad and your engine not run..designed to cut bike off if its ever down...you can bypass that by crossing some wires and eliminate that scenerio...as far as the light if youll look under the seat there should be a small black fuse box there is the fuses for lights and all...see if any of those are blown

Old 05-06-2013, 11:22 AM

i would def check fuses before anything else fuses are easy to replace idk how many times i spend an hour trying to figure out wats wrong and it ends up being just a fuse

Old 05-06-2013, 01:45 PM

Strangely I was awaiting replies here than i started to do some poking around and it was fuses, although turn signals still dont work, I think it may be the switch itself its very sticky and irregular. As far as the other issue it was the bank angle 'tip' sensor. Bypassed it, no more stalling or hesitation. I never bothered to look at the part itself to notice that it actually was the tip sensor. Problems solved.

I will re route the wire harness this week, thinking on the inside of the frame, by the airbox. Then looking to get the rear plastics and tank painted black.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:12 AM

Question about the turn signal switch. Currently I get Low beams and brake lights. None of the turn signals or highbeams work. Is the switch most likely bad?

Old 05-21-2013, 11:03 AM

Here is an updated pic. Re did the wiring harness, it is now tucked under the fuel tank adjacent to the airbox. Looks much better. Bike is really running well. The seats you see are I re did with covers from ebay and it didnt come out too bad for $40.

Also considering plasti-dip for the tank and rear plastics.

Old 05-21-2013, 06:01 PM

Plastidip will rub off pretty quickly where your legs touch the rear plastics and the tank. I've heard drops of gas ruin it pretty quickly too, but it'd be good for testing out colors!

Old 05-21-2013, 07:35 PM

a $60 paintgun from walmart and some dupli color paint shop will get you this

Name:  0507132051a_zps3c4c354b.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  53.3 KB

and im far from a good painter