CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   New guy!!! (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/new-guy-106148/)

MDGW3 02-17-2010 11:39 PM

New guy!!!

Hello, my name is Muhamed which you prolly dont care. I just joined the forum but I have always read stuff on here, a lot of useful information. I gotta serious question which i don know if im posting on the right section but it is about a CBR 600 F4I. Im picking one up this saturday and i read on the forum someone ask this question before. I DON WANT NOTHING THAT HAS BEEN LAYED DOWN, how will i make sure of it. I mean i read and searched everywhere so i got somewhat clue on what to mainly check. the pictures look legit and really clean, and ofcourse he says its never been down and i have trust in people about 10 percent these days. Its 2002 honda cbr f4i with 9k miles on it. :icon_hyper: i appreciate all the input

ibiggers 02-18-2010 03:32 PM

the easiests way to see if a bike has been down:
Obvious impact marks, long large scratches, broken fairings simple stuff...

The parts people over look when repairing a bike which has tipped over or crashed is:
scuffed and scratched bar ends, scuffed mirrors, frame sliders (if they have them), but these all could also be attributed to normal ware and tear. I know on mine i have some fariing scratched that are from random stuff but the bike hasnt gone down....

typically someone wouldnt change the clutch or stator covers if their bike went down so look out for that....Good luck!

bakesf4i 02-18-2010 08:12 PM

yeah that pretty much covers it ^^^^^

Also a big sign for me is when they say custom paint. 9 times out of 10 that means they laid it down and HAD to repaint it. Just look all over the place for deep scratches and the like

speedyf4i 02-18-2010 08:13 PM

i replaced my stator cover when i dumped my bike...but i scratched it again and dont feel like doing it again haha

MDGW3 02-18-2010 11:09 PM

thanks guys i accidently posted two threads it was computer mistake so there is another one going around but i read both of themm he said it hasnt been down but im going sat 260 miles to find out for myself i will let you know how that goes

gotcbr 02-19-2010 11:40 AM

Welcome aboard. Often times sellers will replace plastics, seats, etc, to cover up a drop or lowside. However, most leave the stator cover. If that's scuffed up, chances are its been down. Too, look for banged up bar ends & bent or dinged clutch & brake levers.

"Down" doesn't mean abused or a bad bike. My bike has some scratches/scuffs on it b/c some jerk cager backed into it in a parking lot & drove off. The R side was absolutely perfect til this happened. Now, the R side lower fairing & upper cowl have a few scuffs. The fairing decals can be replaced but haven't done it yet.

Last summer, I was in a very hot desert climate & decided to stop at a favorite cantina for lunch. Temp was well over a hundred. The pavement under my kickstand was actually sinking under the weight of the bike. Had a been another 20 min inside, the bike would've fallen over...one guy's actually did & cracked his upper cowl. Point is, this wasn't something where the guy "downed" his bike or didn't take care of it...just something that happend.

I take really good care of my bikes but things happen, like what I described above. For somebody that uses a bike a lot, like everyday for commuting or primary transportation, things will happen. When you're looking at a bike, you can *generally* get a feel of how the owner has taken care of it...by bike condition & attitude of owner. Look at the chain, sprockets, & tires to get an idea of how its ridden. If able, take the bike to a factory Honda shop for a complete check over...obviously you'll pay for that. If the owner isn't against it, that will be a great plus.

Good luck.

Berto 02-20-2010 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by MDGW3 (Post 884693)
Hello, my name is Muhamed which you prolly dont care. I just joined the forum but I have always read stuff on here, a lot of useful information. I gotta serious question which i don know if im posting on the right section but it is about a CBR 600 F4I. Im picking one up this saturday and i read on the forum someone ask this question before. I DON WANT NOTHING THAT HAS BEEN LAYED DOWN, how will i make sure of it. I mean i read and searched everywhere so i got somewhat clue on what to mainly check. the pictures look legit and really clean, and ofcourse he says its never been down and i have trust in people about 10 percent these days. Its 2002 honda cbr f4i with 9k miles on it. :icon_hyper: i appreciate all the input

All due respect, friend, but you'll learn someday that "layed down" doesn't mean much. My F4i has been down at the track, a low slide slide. You couldn't tell and neither could anyone else.

Inspect the bike for current condition. Inspect the forks and/or frame for significant damage. Unlikely you'll find any. Ride it. If it rides right, it probably is right.

Last, know this: Sellers lie about bikes having been dropped. Deal with it. Don't worry about it.

MDGW3 02-21-2010 08:44 PM

yeah i understand all that guyss and i appreciate it once again i just don see a reason for lyingg they say hey its in perfect conodition never been dropped none wrong with it just to sell and then they say oh i jus realized that or it didnt happen to me, its really gayy but i understand the point