CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   New GooF4i Owner (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/new-goof4i-owner-100779/)

mikeswe 09-13-2009 12:45 PM

New GooF4i Owner

3 Attachment(s)
Hello from Sweden. Be nice to me, I'm a newbie ;) . No I'm not, I got my first bike back in -78 and I have owned many bikes since then, among them proper sportbikes like GSXR600, ZX6R and 748R. I've always liked the latest F Sport looks, more so than the later RR, although the RR is probably a better bike. I like to get older bikes and modify them to perform better on the track. This bike is going to be used for track riding next season. Most mods will be to improve handling/performance.

Pretty much stock 2002 bike with 16000kms on the clock. Only mod (at least that I know of) is an undertail. So far the only thing I have done is to put new indicators on, LED internal in the rear/brake, lic plate holder and taken all fairings off and fixed all missing and wrong type fasteners. The lugs on the headlight housing sticking into the fairing stay where both broken off. It was easily fixed by drilling holes in the lugs and putting M4 screws through it. The side stand is bent so the bike leans very much to the left.

The bike has many previous owners. It has been down on the right side at some time in the past. But it runs fine, it has been serviced, the chain/sprockets are almost new, I think the bike is OK.

I just set all suspension to standard first, and then increased preload both front and rear (3 lines front, pos 6 rear). It pretty much feels very good. The tires are worn flat, Michelin PR2, they will be changed. Next, I will bleed the brakes and change pads in the front.

I have plans for upgrading suspension and clip-ons and footrests, but that's for later posts. I will be very happy to hear from other owners who use their F4's on the track, what mods they have, what works (and what doesn't work).

Here are some pics, I really like this white/dark blue/purple color scheme:

Incognito 09-13-2009 08:44 PM

Hey there Mikael, that's a very nice bike you got there with a very unusual color scheme. Sounds like you have plenty of experience. Feel free to ask any questions you may develop and be sure to keep us posted on your progress.
Welcome to CBRF:icon_bubbles:

sluijs01 09-17-2009 02:46 PM

Sounds like you've got some good plans for making it into a nice track bike. I like that you aren't prejudice against any brand of bike. It's got to be a nice experience moving between Suzukis, Kawasakis, Ducatis, Hondas, and I'm assuming others judging by the sounds of your experience. Btw, I agree with Incognito, that's neat to have a bit more unique stock paint scheme. Can't say I've seen that one before

2H company 09-17-2009 03:49 PM

Hey! Welcome!
I think they've got some interesting color schemes in EU. Like that white\black (list any other dark ones) match a lot.

Running on '02 F4i myself! Great bike. Looking forward to put undertail on mine as well.

I'd probably need your expertise in setting up suspensions. Really want to adjust mine, it feels like everything is wrong lol
So, first I should go to standard position? How do I determine it?

Thx!

mikeswe 09-18-2009 03:12 PM

Today I did my first real trackday on the GooF4. I have new tires on, Dunlop Qualifier, they performed flawless, temp started at 10degC in the morning and went up to 20degC later. Tire pressure cold 2.2bar front and 2.1bar rear (32psi F/30psi R). I also put new pads (Braking) and fluid in the front. This is a very nice and easy to ride bike at the track. Excellent brakes with no fade, nice gearbox, nice working fuelling, I really like it.

One thing I have to do something about is the riding position. On this bike the bars feel too narrow and high, and the footpegs too low and forward. I'm definately putting on rearsets on this bike, probably change the clip-ons too. Suspension is very good in stock form but i probably will put in stiffer springs in the forks, and maybe change the ride height at the back.

mpz 09-20-2009 07:00 PM

Welcome mate. Nice color scheme - black on white contrast looks very nice.

Uniqsol 09-20-2009 10:13 PM

Do they come with the tail section darker from the factory over there? Thats the first thing I noticed... cause over here they all come with the tail section being the lighter color of the two...if I'm not mistaken.

Looks good...and welcome!