F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

New to the forum and Honda

Old 10-24-2012, 11:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the forum and Honda

Well Im going this weekend to okc to buy my first Honda, its a 2001 f4i. The guy said it has been sitting for 2 years so it needs new injectors, well if thats the case is there any way to clean them or something? He says it turns over just fine it just will not fire off, he said fuel pump was fine. Wat is some common problems with these bikes if there is any, what i should no about them? Thanks for the help

Old 10-25-2012, 12:16 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

First I would suggest the following
1 If you are not experienced with bikes, and Honda in particular, TAKE SOMEONE WITH YOU WHO IS.
2 What mileage is on the bike ? The comment from the owner that it needs new injectors sounds a bit suspect to me - is he a mechanic or is he just guessing ?
3 The reasons for the bike not starting could be many and varied - anything from a weak battery to a faulty starter solenoid, or even the coils or CDI being faulty (and expensive) or even a camchain badly replaced so the timing is out. Even a blocked tank vent could be the problem or something simple like a sidestand switch or kill switch problem. Impossible to give you all the possible answers.
4 If the bike isn't even trying ie firing on at least one piston, the rings could be done so there isn't enough compression.

I'd be very careful when buying a bike like this unless you are well experienced and pay the right price - even then it's a gamble.

Good luck !
FWIW

Old 10-25-2012, 07:10 AM

Yes i am experienced with bike but generally not hondas mainly yamahas in the past, Im buying it pretty much for stunting (i dont no if Thats frownd upon here on this site) but its got 17k on it an Im buying it for 1000, he said he rode it until he got a new cbr and its been sitting ever since for about 2 years now. Its got a new battery i no that for sure, well some of those things you say is there a simple way to test some of these problems when i go to look at it?

Old 10-25-2012, 07:27 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon

i dont no if Thats frownd upon here on this site
No, check out the main page

And you'd need some basic equipment to check out electrical stuff. Voltmeter etc
Injectors - strip and clean - nozzles may be blocked.
Check - did you try to start it on old fuel ??? May be your problem. Run fresh fuel through it.
Mice have been known to nest in bike air intakes, and if it's been stored for 2 years......well you get the picture.

1000$ for a bike that won't run ? Not me, definitely not me.
And you won't know until it runs if there are any other problems like bearings, rings, gearbox etc etc etc.
But it's your money.........................

Download the manual from www.stephygee.com - may give you more problem solving hints.

Old 10-25-2012, 08:18 AM

Damn it i was afraid of that i should of talked him down more, but its fully stunted out rear hand brake, 12 o clock bar, 62 teeth sprocket, full cage along with all the other jazz. How do i go about cleaning the investors is it a pita?

Old 10-25-2012, 11:13 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

The only way to clean them without the bike running is to remove them and clean the screens. The inside of them can't be cleaned. Replacement would be the solution at that point. After sitting for only 2 years, the injectors should still work. Unless, of course, they didn't work before it sat. Injectors going bad is not very common, especially all 4. If they don't fire, it's usually an electrical problem.

If you get this bike that has been seriously stunted for a $1000 and it ends up running without too much work, ride it to Vegas before your luck runs out!

Good luck.
But ask yourself why someone wouldn't put a set of injectors in it so it runs to make it sell easier and for more....if that's all it needed.

Old 10-25-2012, 11:31 AM

Welcome to CBRF.

I wouldn't buy a non-running bike either...especially 1k for an '01. However that's your choice. Just try to confirm what the bike actually needs & doesn't need.

Suspect there aren't any service records either. Caveat Emptor.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:05 PM

You can always send the injectors out to be cleaned. Google search witchhunter.

Old 10-26-2012, 12:13 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can simply check the injectors and fuel pump, but pulling out the fuel rail off with the injectors and try to start the bike. lay a shirt or some rags below. if you see wet spots in a consistent pattern, then they're good. be sure you have a good battery when you go to start the bike.