F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

New to forum, help me get back on my bike

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 09:39 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New to forum, help me get back on my bike

ORIGINAL: Dan2Ghost
im still learning on it as well and am mostly practicing around my house.
I'm still learning on my F4 - and I've had this bike 2.5 years, and 3 other bikes before it. So far I've logged 30,000 on this one, which means I've logged well over 100,000 miles on 2 wheels. You never stop learning - the day you do, is the day you have problems.

since 600s are our first bikes and we already bought them, so no points in going back now.
Umh - it is true you brought them already, but if you're really uncomfortable it is never too late to sell and get something smaller. The only time it is too late is when you'll never ride again for one reason or another... and if you are truely worried about it, you know what to do.

Im also taking the MSF course but unfortunatly mines not until august. I guess ill just be practicing around my house for now, maybe take it around town when im comfortable enough.
That is 1 month. It sucks but wait. All you are doing now is learning what you think is right, but could easily be wrong. No point in learning the wrong stuff and having to unlearn it.

Im still just learning to shift and go up and down hills around my neighborhood, especially the huge grade for my driveway. Stalled it like 10 times just trying to get up the thing and back into my garage and i bet i looked like in idiot in front of all my neighbors driving by . But i dont care cause im still just learning and taking it at my own pace.
That actually does sound like good practice - it will teach the basics of clutch control. The other popular exercise is the rock-walk. Sitting on the bike, ease the clutch out until the bike moves a foot forward. Ease on the clutch and rock back to the starting position, trying not to move your feet. This is a wet-clutch and you are meant to slip it at times.

From what you said, it sounds like you've got your head screwed on right - just take it really really easy. Remember it is never too late to wait for the bike course, nor is it too late to get a smaller bike for at least the rest of the season. You could even keep the pair of bikes...

Old 07-02-2008, 04:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haha thanks woot, i like to think i use the ol' ticker from time to time, esp. on this bike. Yea i've just been taking it slow and driving around my neighborhood. I live in a Huge circle with hills on both sides of me so im really understanding the clutch control on more realistic terms. I know the course is a month away and I am excited to take it and learn from instructors but in the mean time im just taking it easy around here for now. And i plan to have this bike for a while, so while it might be easier on me for a smaller bike, that ship has already sailed for one, and im very happy with my bike and understand the consequences of riding a much bigger engine than my current experience level. So with that being said as long as im taking my time, being safe, wearing the right gear i dont see why i couldnt teach myself alittle. Besides, I wouldnt mind just riding it around my neightborhood for the next month until its my time to take the course.

-Dan

Old 07-02-2008, 05:02 PM

New riders always scare me because I know what it was like whenI was on a road for the 1st time on a street bike. Hearts pounding, praying to god that you don't drop your bike, or injure yourself in the process. I was there too, after the MSF courseI still took it slow untilI got comfortable with my bike which was an 06 F4i.I rode dirt bikes frequently growing up but not recently enough whenI got on the street. Like these guys have been saying its practice and confidence and always be alert on the bike when your on the street.

My Girlfriend and soon to be wife just took the MSF course last weekend and she enjoyed herself and learned there is a lot more about riding a motorcycle then just steering. she was on a Yamaha 125 during the course andunfortunately I don't have a beater bike for her to practice on so she will be using my 06 f4i. Its quite a jump from a 125 but she will be taking it slow and building her confidence up in abandon parking decks before she hits the road. thankfully i have friends now that can take her out and watch her out on the street something I didn't have when i was learning how to ride.

Old 07-02-2008, 05:02 PM

i bought an 01 f4i for my first bike and i was riding around town the first day, still havent dumped it to this day. I guess so people just take longer to get the hang of it

Old 07-02-2008, 06:14 PM

+1 on the you can always sell it. I don't know why people say that. I bought a Ninja 500 for my first bike, after realizing it was to big for my first bike (weight wise) I was around 100lbs and 5'1, I sold it. Why continue to be uncomfortable on something when you don't have to be. Your not stuck with it. I bought a Ninja 250 and was really happy with it, very easy to learn on. Then got my 02 F4i 8 months later. So don't be afraid to backtrack.

Old 07-02-2008, 07:10 PM

I just rode to work which is 4minutes away from my apartment complex. It went very smooth but I took the longer way because I didn't want to make a u-turn haha. I can't wait to take the course so I can learn the important manuevers needed.

Old 07-18-2008, 08:50 PM

Alright so for the second time,

Update: Passed my MSF course had a ton of fun. Wished they had more sport-bikes because the cruisers (Honda Rebel) have shifter/brake pedal more forward than my F4i.

I learened to lean my bike, swerve quickly and to counterweight when turning slow. I SUCKED at figure-8 excersise, I CANNOT for life of me do tight u-turns.

Anyway, as soon as I get my certificate from them ill go down to the DMV and get my M1 and start riding!!

Old 07-19-2008, 01:16 PM

congrats man....tight u-turns take alot of practice to learn its not lsomething you'll learn overnight. good luck, ride safe, be smart.