F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

New to forum, help me get back on my bike

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 08:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New to forum, help me get back on my bike

You can do, first all take it easy. Next once you get the basics down. Don't try to get into tricks. Save the fork seals, keep the wheel on the ground. I have been a biker for a long time (since 17 and now 36) and been around bikes. Lost my bike for doing stupid stuff. I have seen and done myself some too. We all seen the videos with guys doing tricks, that stuff should be left off the street. Had a friend just about die, from not watching what he was doing. I can tell you when your making the 911 call, and see the whole thing go down. If I wasn't right behind him calling for help two mins later he would have been dead. It doesn't matter what size the bike is really if your not using you brain.Its not easy just to jump right back into the seat again. I love riding and I'm sure you will too.

As for your skills on bike, fix your bike (don't be cheap either duck taping things back together) Don't ride it till is 100% fixed. Find a big parking lot and do your starting out and braking. There you can learn to do your U-turn. I too dropped my band new F2 doing a u-turn. (didn't even had the first payment done yet back then. Been there and done that. Way too tight and too slow.

Old 06-29-2008, 10:13 AM

i know im probably repeating whats already been said. an R1 is not for learning to ride on, neither are most 600s. youre a better rider because of your crash becasue you know what the bike cant do blah blah blah your skin is aight, hop back on blah blah. in motorcycle riding you will bust your ***. suit up for the crash and youll be fine.

Old 07-01-2008, 06:16 PM

Okay so little bit of an update... the MSF class is scheduled for 6/15 so I have 2 weeks. I've been riding around my apartment complex again so I gained a bit of confidence again. I need to learn to control the throttle a bit because when I go over bumps my wrist moves and it throttles the bike. Annd I've also found that it is really important to scan ahead. It's kind of funny because everytime I see a car or personw alking I get very tense and panic a little so I need to get used to that also. So far it's been fun and nervous too but more fun, can't wait til I take the class

Old 07-01-2008, 06:30 PM

The nervousness goes away once you are comfortable with yourself. In myexperience it was always kind of a nervousness attributed to trying not to look like an idiot in public. Easy on the trottle over bumps, that can easily throw you off, The clutch is your best friend. Anyways, Good luck man, you'll get the hang of it.

Old 07-01-2008, 09:38 PM

dont b an idiot i started on a 6 but i was ignorant to the power of these amazing bikes anyone who starts on a 1g is a fing moron unless they have some sort of death wish but now that u got a 6 take it slow and respect your bike because if u dont the next time u turn that key on could b your last

Old 07-01-2008, 10:40 PM

ORIGINAL: blackhawk411

Okay so little bit of an update... the MSF class is scheduled for 6/15 so I have 2 weeks. I've been riding around my apartment complex again so I gained a bit of confidence again. I need to learn to control the throttle a bit because when I go over bumps my wrist moves and it throttles the bike. Annd I've also found that it is really important to scan ahead. It's kind of funny because everytime I see a car or personw alking I get very tense and panic a little so I need to get used to that also. So far it's been fun and nervous too but more fun, can't wait til I take the class
hmm I'm not sure how much you know, but the MSF teaches every basic thing you would need to know. As for going over bumps or any other obstruction you should stand on your pegs and lift your butt about 1-2 inches. And the throttle control will be taught and you will pick it up easily when they lend you a bike. And even in a car you should be scanning ahead, you never know what's gonna happen.

Old 07-01-2008, 11:40 PM

Everyone here has alot of great advice and tremendous amount of experience. You can learn alot from this forum and never ever be afraid to ask questions. There are no dumb questions. Even if the subject has been talked about a billion times....ie. what tires? Whats a CCT? What sprocket to get? Its never dumb to want to learn from others. Your confidence will come in time. Practice, practice, practice. Learn the clutch, the braking, the acceleration, the handling, the cornering. That is what makes a good rider, not how fast you can go, not how long or how high you can ride a wheelie, its the responsible rider who is the rider we all respect. . And don't forget to get good riding protection. A padded riding jacket, riding gloves, good boots to protect your feet. And a good helmet. As you know, all you have between you and the ground is what your wearing. You have plenty of time to ride in your lifetime, don't showboat for someone you will never see again and get injured. Good luck and hope to hear from you after get some road time under your belt

Old 07-02-2008, 12:48 AM

Yeah guys thanks for the advise. I appreciate it alot. I just went out on the street rode around a bit, gained alot of confidence. Still pretty sketchy though but I almost got the clutch down from the dead stop. I freaked out a little bit on a uphill at a redlight though haha almost stalled it out. Also need to learn to lean because I'm taking like 3lanes when I'm turning lol.

Gear wise, I didn't really know much. I got me a ICON helmet and Alpinestars textile jacket for summer. I will buy a leather one for winter. Got some alpinestars gloves and I wear combat boots when I ride because it gives me about 1.5inches of height which helps.

I also need to work on not putting all of my weight on my arms because after 15minutes of riding my hands are sore as heck. I need to actually distribute weight lol. Anyway, thanks for all the advice guys, keep'em coming it helps alot. Anything helps.

PS. Just FYI, I'm not the one who bought a 1000...it seems that some of you may misread that I was the one with a 1000 lol.

Old 07-02-2008, 03:09 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you are still nervous of the facts like you are still new, the bike is overpowered, never rode a bike before, etc.

Just believe in yourself, gather your confidence and trust your ability. Just think its just a machine that need to be treated with due respect.

With the positive attitude that can be seen from you, I believe you will hit the roadwithin time. Good luck!

Old 07-02-2008, 09:24 AM

+1 onwhat everyones already said, after your course you will be a much better rider thats for sure!. Take it easy untill you learn the basics, emergency braking, and throttle control, just to name a few, durning your course you'll be able to manouveour through tight areas w ease good luck and be safe

Quick Reply: New to forum, help me get back on my bike