F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

New to forum, help me get back on my bike

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 03:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to forum, help me get back on my bike

Hello guys.

I just joined this forum and bought myself a 02 F4i yesterday. Beautiful black/red paint scheme (my fav.)...

So this morning I took it for a spin aroudn my apartment complex parkinglot. Mind you I never ever rode a motorcycle in my life, not even dirt bikes...Yeah now I know I bought a too much bike for me but it's already too late. The only friend I know that rides told me 600 was the smallest I could go (He bought himself a R1 for his first bike... ). Well he was wrong.

After toodling aroudn the parking lot at 10mph i got too cocky and decided to go out on the street, I took it up to around 45mph and I was pretty impressed the way I was shifting the bike. Then I turned to this dead end street which was down hill slope and proceeded to make a u-turn. wow what a horrible idea, i totally dumped the bike. Not only is U-Turn the hardest thing ever, u-turning on to an uphill?? holy ****. Thankfully the frame slider saved my beautiful bike but i snapped the mirror off. Sucks. then on top of it, this guy in a pick up truck was right on my *** at the light so i stalled out the bike. Horrible experience esp after dumping bike.

So now, all I can think about is coming home to my wife alive. I get nervous and feel stupid for breaking my new-to me bike. I am already signed up for the MSF course but not for another 2weeks though. I'm not going to have the courage to take my bike out on the street again I don't thnk. Help me out guys...i feel so dumb and nervous. All these people jump on a R1 and ride totally fine for the first time and I drop a 600...damn. I'm even starting to think I made a bad decision on buying a bike.

Old 06-28-2008, 04:11 PM
Default RE: New to forum, help me get back on my bike

You don't need advice, you need training and practice. The last advice you took (to start on that 600) was poor and downright dangerous, so let's not ask for any more of that.

You bought a bike you aren't capable of properly handing (yet) and tried to perform manuevers well beyond your envelope.

The result was a crash. Not an accident.

The MSF course will tear you down and build your confidence up.

You are dumb. You should be nervous. Don't take it the wrong way. Not that many people jump on an R1 for the first time, and many of those who do have the scars to tell about it.

Old 06-28-2008, 04:19 PM

hey man, im in the same boat. I bought an 04 f4i as my first bike ever about 2 weeks ago. All i can say is take it slow, im still learning on it as well and am mostly practicing around my house. Just gotta take it easy and dont do anything your not comfortable with. since 600s are our first bikes and we already bought them, so no points in going back now. Im also taking the MSF course but unfortunatly mines not until august. I guess ill just be practicing around my house for now, maybe take it around town when im comfortable enough. Good luck with learning, glad to hear your alright and frame sliders ftw. I need to get a pair of them for my bike.

one more thing, from all my friends and adults that ive talked to who've had riding experience they all tell me that you cant be scarred of the bike or else your already instilling the fear of riding. You just have to take your time and do things at your own pace. Im still just learning to shift and go up and down hills around my neighborhood, especially the huge grade for my driveway. Stalled it like 10 times just trying to get up the thing and back into my garage and i bet i looked like in idiot in front of all my neighbors driving by . But i dont care cause im still just learning and taking it at my own pace. Good choice on the F4i and hope things go well in the future.

-Dan

Old 06-28-2008, 04:25 PM

Welcome to the forum! If I was you I'd park thebike at least until after you take the MSF course. If you feel more comfortable and confident afterwards, give the F4i a try but take it slow.If you still aren't feelin' it after the MSF course, consider selling the F4i for a smaller bike.

The whole 'what should I get for my first bike' thing is probably the most argued topic on any motorcycle forum. My .02 after riding many, many years is I would NOT recommend a 600 as a first bike to anyone with no riding experience whatsoever.

Anyways, good luck with which ever choice you make.

Old 06-28-2008, 04:25 PM
July 2008 ROTM

Just wait to ride again after you take the MSF class. It'll teach you what you need to know, and your confidence will improve greatly.

Old 06-28-2008, 04:27 PM

ORIGINAL: blackhawk411

All these people jump on a R1 and ride totally fine for the first time and I drop a 600...damn.
all the people that jump on an R1 for the first bike are usually not totally fine. they are usually not around to tell you about it. and the ones that are, are certainly not going to advertise that they have crashed numerous times. starting out on a 600 is not an impossible feat, but it will take time, practice and lots of self control to accomplish. MSF is a great start.

Old 06-28-2008, 05:30 PM

well here it is...damage. mirror gone. paint scratched

[IMG]local://upfiles/27766/0B179C3AB0844B6484E23F155785F8B7.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-28-2008, 05:35 PM

Your clutch lever/mount is broken too.

Old 06-28-2008, 07:52 PM

cant wait to take the msf class. i need to learn the basic manuevers so i can start riding my bike.

Old 06-28-2008, 08:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your friend is a complete iggit, dont listen to no more advise from him or it may get you killed. he is prolly the worse rider any of us here have ever seen, yea he prolly can go fast in a straight line. whoopee, I can go find a chick, show her how t ouse the clutch, throttle, and brakes. And shee too can go fast in a straight line. As you find out tho there is more than going fast in a straight line involved in riding a motorcycle. The MSF will most likely jump you ahead in riding skills over you buddy with the R1. when you take the MSF forget anything you think you have learned. Listen to the instructors n do wtf they tell you. Somethings wont related to a sportbike, but you will notice it still will come in handy to know. While you wait to take the MSF tho, practice basics like the fraction zone, braking, throttle control.

And welcome to the world of 2 wheels

Quick Reply: New to forum, help me get back on my bike