CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   new experience (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/new-experience-152713/)

tensegrity 09-12-2014 09:19 AM

new experience

Been riding for little more than 6 months at this point. Yesterday while commuting on the F4i to work pre-dawn in Irvine had a new experience: an SUV trying to pass and change lanes by driving right through me. Fortunately, he didn't succeed. Amazing the reckless things some drivers do, like driving though a new lane and not looking anywhere in the general direction you are headed.

Think I'll stick to the toll roads and stay off the 405 down there - people have seemed pretty squared away on the toll roads (might be some correlation between stupid drivers and not paying to use the road).

74demon 09-12-2014 09:39 AM

I almost get hit everyday at least once by stupid drivers. They are pretty clueless for the most part. They hand out licences like candy, treating the ability to drive an automobile like a right instead of a skill.

Keep your head up out there. You live in the middle of Yuppieville.

Conrice 09-12-2014 10:06 AM

The more miles you get under your belt, the more idiots you'll see. Like Demon says - head on a swivel!

Scott91370 09-12-2014 09:50 PM

Make sure to leave the bike in gear at red lights. For so,e reason people seem to miss bikes and like to rear end them.

hamlin6 09-12-2014 10:35 PM

Scott is correct. Keep your bike in gear and always be prepared for those who couldn't care less that you are there.
But to be fare to those we shake our head at, now that you have some 2 wheel time under your belt, when you are in your 4 wheels, aren't you much more aware of those on bikes? For the most part the people who have never been on a bike have no idea how obnoxious they are when they bring their Escalade within 2 inches of you.

Brotha J 09-13-2014 08:03 AM

I used to almost get killed at least 3-4 times whenever I took Daisy out. But, every since I had my windscreen wrapped with a picture of my beautiful daughter, that happens a LOT less often. I guess they see me as a human being now.

tensegrity 09-13-2014 10:40 AM

Thanks, all, for the many good thoughts and suggestions. I was generally a pretty careful car driver, but definitely am far more aware in the car since riding. I've also been somewhat surprised on the bike at the drivers who seem to want to accommodate you on the bike if they see you - expected to see some idiots but not the opposite. Now just need to keep increasing the awareness while getting more experience on the bike.

74demon 09-13-2014 12:20 PM

There are a few good and considerate drivers out there. I figure they must have spent some time on a bike, or maybe they move over to protect their car, either way...

tensegrity, I am in your neck of the concrete woods. In this area, I have come to some conclusions with car profiles:
(Based on daily commuting on Ortega Highway, passing on a 1 lane road)
Men usually give room
Men in work trucks almost always do
Women generally do not
Prius drivers are a crap-shoot. I guess it depends on their real car at home.

Be a courteous rider. When you see a driver go out of their way for you, acknowledge their effort. give them the old thank you wave. They will be more inclined to continue their efforts in the future.

Your motorcycle experience will make you a better driver. The increased awareness and techniques it takes to ride a bike translates to cars as well.

coalminer frank 09-13-2014 12:21 PM

Also when stopped at traffic lights behind cars. Dont pull too close right in the middle of the car. Stay in the left car tire track or the right with room to pull out, just in case some moron dont see you sitting there. You can pull out and let them rear end the car instead of you.

IDoDirt 09-13-2014 04:29 PM

I'm glad they didn't make a greasy spot out of you. Getting more time on the bike always helps. What Demon said is true too, definitely keep you head on a swivel. I'm heading out to Irvine on business later this month. Sure wish I could bring the bike. Oh well, someday I'll get to ride in CA.