CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   New Exhaust - No Catalytic Converter? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/new-exhaust-no-catalytic-converter-123374/)

woodypk 04-03-2011 08:18 AM

New Exhaust - No Catalytic Converter?

Hi guys, Just wondering something...

I took my exhaust off my bike and replaced it with a new one (slip-on) .

I realized that I had removed the catalytic converter which was part of the old exhaust (from headers to end can)

Will the bike be road legal now and still pass its MOT or is a catalytic converter needed for road use.

Also what kind of differenced could I expect to see without it because i've read things from horsepower gains to incorrect factory air/fuel mixes.

Can anyone give me any information on this? Cheers guys!

woodypk 04-04-2011 10:39 AM

Any one?

boredandstroked 04-04-2011 11:22 AM

Not alot of UK members on here, I would try asking in the general tech forum where people from all hondas look around. I don't even know what a MOT is lol.

redzintimidator 04-04-2011 12:22 PM

we dont have cats on our f4i's here in the US ....except for when she escapes into the garage and leaves paw prints alllll over it.

MOT WUT?

woodypk 04-04-2011 02:02 PM

Oh right lol. And an MOT is a test to check whether your vehicle is road legal or not. Done yearly lol. What do you have in the way of our version of an MOT?

pittsm 04-04-2011 02:42 PM

nothing to my knowledge. my bike was never inspected when i tagged and registered it. Hell, they didn't even see it, it was at home when i did it.

Smithers 04-04-2011 04:23 PM

Are you sure you removed the cat?

Have a look at this diagram - what exactly did you remove?

Ronayers.com Microfiche Honda>Motorcycle>2006>CBR600F4>MUFFLER

What can did you put on? Is it marked as 'Not For Road Use'

If not then shouldn't be a problem for the MOT.

To adjust the fueling you can instal a power commander and install different maps - nornally not required with only a slip-on unless you
have running problems (flat spots, hesitation etc.)

jeffjones 04-04-2011 05:41 PM

In Canada you have to get your car or bike "Safetied" of "Certified" by a licensed mechanic in order to get plates.
Cars have to get emission tested as well, but bikes you dont have to.

Smithers 04-05-2011 02:53 AM

Yeah im sure emissions dont get tested on bikes here either, they are only monitored for excess noise :icon_bike:

Are you talking about the wee wire mesh exhaust gasket??

AdamCBR600 04-05-2011 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by woodypk (Post 1034027)
Hi guys, Just wondering something...

I took my exhaust off my bike and replaced it with a new one (slip-on) .

I realized that I had removed the catalytic converter which was part of the old exhaust (from headers to end can)

Will the bike be road legal now and still pass its MOT or is a catalytic converter needed for road use.

Also what kind of differenced could I expect to see without it because i've read things from horsepower gains to incorrect factory air/fuel mixes.

Can anyone give me any information on this? Cheers guys!

most bikes dont have them until the 2000 models its only testing the emmisions so as long as your emmisions are low you should be fine, if your exhaust has "not road legal" try to cover it with a sticker or something i have ;)