F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

New chain/sprocket issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2019, 02:48 PM
Welcome crew
Received 212 Likes on 191 Posts
Default New chain/sprocket issue

Trying to get new chain/sprocket combo (520 pitch - 15 front - 46 rear) on and appear to be a half link too long (or short).

First pic - Moving the adjusters all the way in is just this [ ] shy of getting it to where I can get to the next full inner link.

Second pic - I have to move the adjusters all the way to the edge of the "replace chain" zone to take up the extra slack.

I'm guessing I just need to get over my OCD and go with the latter setup but also want to make sure there is enough adjustment left to take up slack as the chain stretches...

Anyone else ever run into this issue? I swear I seem to have more issues that never get covered or encountered by the "It's so simple, only took me half an hour and I was falling down drunk!" crowd...

Old 12-16-2019, 06:42 PM
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Are your adjustment markers for standard configuration ? I could well be wrong here but won’t it make the “new chain” bit move if your move away from stock sprockets with standard length chain.
There is somewhere on line, a guide to measurements over several links to tell when your chain needs replacing so you could combine that with the little bit of marker you have left. Or just move them to suit anyway lol.
i could be sooooo wrong it’s late here !
Like the black sprocket btw

Last edited by wes 17; 12-16-2019 at 06:54 PM.
Old 12-16-2019, 06:51 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Are your stickers on wrong? The worn out chain should be longer. Besides, if you change the sprocket sizes, the wear guide won't apply anymore as the axle isn't in the same place as stock dimensions would have it

Old 12-16-2019, 07:15 PM
Welcome crew

Originally Posted by wes 17
Are your adjustment markers for standard configuration ? I could well be wrong here but won’t it make the “new chain” bit move if your move away from stock sprockets with standard length chain.
There is somewhere on line, a guide to measurements over several links to tell when your chain needs replacing so you could combine that with the little bit of marker you have left. Or just move them to suit anyway lol.
i could be sooooo wrong it’s late here !
Like the black sprocket btw

Originally Posted by 74demon
Are your stickers on wrong? The worn out chain should be longer. Besides, if you change the sprocket sizes, the wear guide won't apply anymore as the axle isn't in the same place as stock dimensions would have it
Both pics are of the new chain... 1st one is with axle as far toward the front of the bike as it will go. 2nd is where it needs to be to pull up all the slack. If I removed the next outer link, which would keep it within the stock "new chain" spec, it will leave me a half link short... and the axle ain't going any further forward...

I know that the guide is no longer accurate, but backing it out as far as it needs to be to take up the slack just doesn't give me much room to back it out more as it stretches. Seems it's just a bit too long or a bit too short... by half a link either way.

Appreciate the questions! Funny how the issue, when I'm looking at it, seems straightforward and then after I post up, you all come up with questions that never occurred to me...

I reckon I'll go ahead with moving the adjusters waaay back and just run it! The stock set lasted a bit over 20,000 so it's not likely I'll run through this one too quickly.

Thanks!

Old 12-16-2019, 08:26 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Oh, nevermind about the sticker on wrong. Its on the adjuster bracket... I don't have one of those so i wasn't thinking.

It looks like a longer bolt would give you more adjustment. The axle has room to slide more.

Old 12-17-2019, 05:25 AM
Welcome crew

Originally Posted by 74demon
Oh, nevermind about the sticker on wrong. Its on the adjuster bracket... I don't have one of those so i wasn't thinking.

It looks like a longer bolt would give you more adjustment. The axle has room to slide more.
No worries!

I think that might be the ticket! I was thinking I could run it as is for a while and, after it stretched a bit, take out a single link and re-rivet another master link. A longer bolt would definitely give me some more adjustment leeway.

Thanks!

Old 12-17-2019, 02:21 PM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

If you buy a good chain, it won't stretch. We only have 95whp or so.
My RK GXW's basically don't move stretch wise. They die around 20,000 miles from binding up.

Old 12-17-2019, 06:51 PM
Welcome crew

Originally Posted by boredandstroked
If you buy a good chain, it won't stretch.
If that is the case, then it'll be good to go. I went ahead and hooked up the master link and will see what happens!

Now, onto replacing the fuel pump regulator and checking my valve clearances. Yay.

Appreciate everyone's input!