CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   new to bikes and have questions (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/new-bikes-have-questions-114497/)

slate stealth 07-29-2010 10:22 AM

new to bikes and have questions

Hi guys, i'm preparing to learn to ride and purchase my first bike. I was hoping if there was a website dedicated to the f4i? I'm hoping to get some understanding of service intervals, modifications, maintenance, tips for repairs, what to look for when buying a used bike, etc. I'm a complete noob when it comes to bikes. I know what a sprocket is, but only in the general sense of the word. So you can see how much of a noob I really am. lol. I'd really like to know how bikes function as well as being able to service them myself. I do almost all repairs or mods on my stealth and I'd like to work on the bike on my own too. Thing that would be helpful to know would be stuff like, how to tell if a chain is stretched out.

thanks!

Turbulenz 07-29-2010 10:36 AM

Welcome

You could try searching for forum for specific things.. there are a ton of posts on nearly everything. The F4/F4i is a great bike... don't let the power get to your head.. be careful.. take the MSF course..get gear.. Between the owner's manual, the service manual, and this site, you should be in great shape.

Adam

heyitsmelam 07-29-2010 10:36 AM

i think you found the website, bud. any input from these guys can be considered valid, since they do own the bike in question.

if anything, google what you're looking for and should be a wealth of information that comes up. worked out well for me.

and avoid buying stretched out bikes, unless you want it for the looks. you lose the inherent design qualities of the bike itself if you stretch it out. also, stretching means to extend the swingarm and lengthening the wheelbase of the bike. radically reducing its designed maneuverability.

slate stealth 07-29-2010 10:44 AM

Thanks guys. I do plan on taking the MSF course and want to be safe. I've got a TT stealth, so I'm not new to HP, but I know it will be vastly different on a bike. It does scare me a bit, but that's also the exciting part right? :D

I just read the chain and sprocket thread and it does seem very informative! I can't wait :D.

Sick97SS 07-29-2010 11:14 AM

checkout www.ride2die.com

that should keep the urge to be stupid at a minimum

Xander F4i 07-29-2010 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Sick97SS (Post 951817)

every time i try to go to that site...it says it's locked and proper identification is required to proceed...but there is nowhere to put any identification:icon_shrug:

also look into a good set of stands for the bike...as they make most maintenance much easier

slate stealth 07-29-2010 05:05 PM

so i'm seeing that the later models came with 1 seat. is it possible to convert it to the split seat? that 1 piece is ugly imo.

Xander F4i 07-29-2010 05:12 PM

Yes absolutely...you just need all the pieces to swap it out

__Z__ 07-29-2010 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by slate stealth (Post 951810)
I've got a TT stealth, so I'm not new to HP.

:icon_doh: lol tell u what bro first time u crack open that throttle the adrenaline will be 10 times what it is in a car.... Ive ridden shot gun in 700 horse street/strip cars on the track and my f4i gives me more of a rush that that bad body hookin up and going down the track...

going fast in a cage is one, thing going fast on two wheels :icon_hyper::icon_hyper::icon_hyper::icon_hyper:

lol.. that being said u picked a good first bike if u get one...

CodyJ28 07-29-2010 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by zmds18 (Post 951936)
:icon_doh: lol tell u what bro first time u crack open that throttle the adrenaline will be 10 times what it is in a car.... Ive ridden shot gun in 700 horse street/strip cars on the track and my f4i gives me more of a rush that that bad body hookin up and going down the track...

going fast in a cage is one, thing going fast on two wheels :icon_hyper::icon_hyper::icon_hyper::icon_hyper:

lol.. that being said u picked a good first bike if u get one...

lol i agree with this. to one of my jobs i commute 70 miles round trip and love be able to pass all those slow people with no problem. im like 215lbs and sometimes have a passenger who is probably like 140lbs and it still gets up and moves quick. i'd prolly scare myself on a bigger bike lol.