CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   New 2006 CBR600F4i (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/new-2006-cbr600f4i-126939/)

cytogen 06-14-2011 11:54 AM

New 2006 CBR600F4i

I'm new to the forums and I'm looking for some advise. Hoping you guys can help out.

I just got a new 2006 F4i from a friend of mine which only has 186kms on it. He bought it brand new back in 2006 and only rode it that much over a course of a year. It's been stored in a garage since then.

I'm going to pick it up today and make sure the basics are covered; tire pressure, brake fluid, fuel and lights/indicators.

Once I get it home, I'd like to get a round of maintenance done on it. Since it has extremely low mileage on it, but 5 years old, what are some of the things I should look over and/or replace.

Oil is a definate, but does come from the factory with any break-in oil?
I'll bleed the old brake fluid out for some new.
Coolant? Should I change that out?

Anything else I should be looking at?

Thanks in advance.
Michael

FoCoCBR 06-14-2011 12:01 PM

Congrats on the new bike! I had pretty much the same story as you. Bought my 2005 F4i last March with only 400 miles on it. So it was a 5-ish year old bike, but extremely low mileage. It was completely stock at the time.

All I did as far as maintenance was change the oil, and lube the chain. some people will advocate for the brake fluid and coolant flushes, but I'm at 6000 miles now on my bike and I have never run into any problems. But if you are already putting that on your to-do list, it wouldn't hurt the put in fresh brake fluid.

The biggest thing I would recommend is looking into replacing your tires. I'm assuming they are stock, which means that the tires were most likely manufactured in 2005 (year before production), and they are probably hockey pucks at this point. Sure they might have a significant amount of tread life in them, but the rubber has definitely decomposed and I wouldn't risk it.

Other than that, change the oil and if it starts up fine, you should be good to go.

Be safe!

R Dub 06-14-2011 12:07 PM

Holly crap that is literally brand new! I put more than that on mine on Sunday alone. I don't understand why people go out and spend thousands of dollars on something and never use it. Oh well its a great find for you. The biggest concern is going to be the gas in the tank. If it's original gas it is bad and you need to get it out asap like before you even try to start the motor. I would unbolt the tank, lift it up, undo the fuel line and let all the old gas drain out (into a container of course) hook it back up and put new gas in it. You might want to put some seafoam in it as well. Then yes I would change the oil because it sat for so long. I would put conventional motorcycle oil in it for the first 500 miles or so then change it again. If it was me I would change it to synthetic. If the brakes feel good I don't think you need to change the fluid but you can always do it for peace of mind. The coolant is probably okay as well but if you want to change it out it is easy to do and fairly cheap. Get the premixed Honda coolant in the blue bottle. Like FoCoCBR said check those tires as they could be dry rotted and have flat spots.

w4ffl3s 06-14-2011 12:08 PM

since its been sitting i would deffinitally put new oil in it with a new filter since its been sitting, according to honda you should still use non-synthetic oil since then engine is still in the break in period. Also if there is fuel in the tank you will have to use fuel stabilizer or clean out the tank and get some new fuel in there. Also the tires might be dry rotted or absorbed some moisture from where it was stored, so might want to go ahead and replace those. I would just go ahead and flush the coolant system, wouldn't hurt. I would also check the chain, clean, lube, adjust. After all that ride for another 500 or so miles, then perform the 600 mile maintence.

boredandstroked 06-14-2011 02:12 PM

As stated above use non synthetic oil. Personally I'd replace the brake fluid in the front at least. Check tires for dry rot/cracks and flat spots. Coolant is probably fine but if you have the time and money then draining it and replacing should be considered. Also although it hasen't had any use the years of sitting could have caused the rubbe brake lines to go bad so consider some steel braided front lines [rear brakes don't really matter on sportbikes so don't waste money here]. If it was stored with gas in the tank you could be in trouble, anything from rust to bad pump to bad fuel pressure regulator. Good luck!

cytogen 06-15-2011 11:40 AM

Thanks for all the great information guys! Good to know that I was in the ballpark on that needs to be done.

So an update; Went to pick up the bike yesterday and found that the battery was dead. Tried to roll start it a few times, but it was not enough. We even pulled the fuses on all the lights to make sure the ignition system got all the juice. However it woud only run for a split second before it died. We pulled the battery and it's being charged for our next attempt.

Anyways, had a talk with my friend and up until a year and a half ago, it was stored at the dealer and when he took it back they had done a oil change on it. I also noticed that the battery had a series of stickers on it with his name and serial #. Looks as though they might have pulled the battery and kept it on a charge while it was stored. I'm not sure if the bike was stored on a stand, but the tires in good condition with no cracks or flat spots.

Second look at all the brake fluids and it all still looks crystal clear. All in all it looks like all I'll need to do is a oil change.

I'l leave the coolant along for now until I see how the coolant temp reacts.

boredandstroked 06-15-2011 11:46 AM

Its not just temps. The coolant breaks down and won't lubricate the water pump correctly.

w4ffl3s 06-15-2011 01:18 PM

my personal preference is to change the coolant yearly to keep it fresh and free of deposits. Also I suggest water wetter and distilled water as replacement coolant. Just flush the system a few times with distilled water, then fill back up and add water wetter. And to add on the above statement, better to spend a couple bucks and take 30 minutes to and hour on flushing the coolant then having to replace the pump.

Munson 06-15-2011 02:03 PM

Even if the tires don't look cracked or show flat spots, you should still replace them if they're more than maybe 3 years old at the most. The date of manufature is shown on the sidewall. It's a 4-digit number, with the first two being week of the year, and the last two the year. Therefore 4709 means they were made in the 47th week of 2009.

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/_V1gjR3XZk...ith+labels.jpg

manny04 06-17-2011 12:12 PM

good find! POST SOME PICS!!

I personally flushed my system at 5k and replaced with engine ice also bled my brakes at 5k so that can wait till then or so. The ONLY thing i STRONGLY reccomend to prevent you from low siding and wrecking your new ride is new tires no matter what, i am speaking from personal experience, i low sided in 09 on my 06 f4i i bought new from the dealership in 08 and the 4 yr old rear tire was the cause. So even though your looking at around 200 before installation on the tires, it defenetly beats spending over a grand fixing your bike while your knees are bleeding..

Post some pictures of the new ride!!