F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

New 05 F4i owner - recommended parts?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 04:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 05 F4i owner - recommended parts?

I have been riding my friends 06 CBR 600RR for a while, and decided it was time I get my own motorcycle. I am now the proud owner of a new (to me) 2005 CBR 600 F4i, all stock except for the addition of frame sliders (unfortunately added not until the bike had been dropped twice already.)

Anyway, I already wrecked it (26 hours after purchasing it). I gotta replace a few parts, but I figured while I'm at it why not fix it up a bit? The only thing the bike "needs" in order for it to be rideable right now is the left foot peg and all the attached parts (i.e. shifter). I already ordered that and it should be here in a few days.

Overview of bike damages:

Bent clutch lever
Worn down frame slider
Damaged (though still working) front turn signals
Broken mirror
Swing arm wear

*Clutch Lever*
I want to get adjustable clutch/front brake levers.

*Frame Sliders*
Not sure what kind the previous owner installed, but they worked pretty well (I was going between 50-55 mph when I went down and my bike doesn't look bad at all).

*Mirror/Turn Signals*
I was wanting to get flush mounted turn signals (hot bodies?) and integrated turn signal mirrors if possible. Is it easy to make both work simultaneously?

*Swing arm*
Is it a difficult task to replace?

I was just seeing if anyone had any suggestions for these parts to possibly save me some hours of searching. Any help is greatly appreciated. I just cant wait to start riding again.

****Service Manual!****
Does anyone know where I can find the 2004+ service manual PDF? I currently have the 01-03 service manual, but it would be nice to get the one for the banana seat instead of the split seat version.

Old 11-24-2012, 05:41 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Congrats on your new to you F4i. :-) Sorry you've had a mishap lready. Things happen tho. Glad you are none the worse for wear & the bike is relatively ok.

As for those extra items you're looking for, there are many options out there...
Levers - You can go expensive or inexpensive. There are some threads in the F4 & F4i section on lever options - w/ feedback, etc.
Frame Sliders - Get the best quality you can afford. As you know, they can save the bike of unnecessary damage. Some brands; Vortex, Woodcraft, Intuitive, Lockhart-Phillips, etc.
Mirrors/Signals - OEM are sufficient. You can order replacements from hondaparts4u, ronayers, bikebandit, servicehonda, etc. Also, CycleGear has some inexpensive aftermarket replacement mirrors that will get the job done. There are some no-names on ebay as well. There are a few members here that have used integrated signal-mirrors...not sure of brands but there is info here on it. As for HotBodies flushmount LED signals, many of us here use them...they fit well & are good quality at their price-point. You can use them as 2 or 3-wire signals. There's a good tutorial on how to do that there...https://cbrforum.com/forum/how-mecha...-inputs-84998/.
Swingarm - No, its not difficult to replace IF you can turn a wrench & use the correct tools. Depending on your swingarm's damage, if its just cosmetic, you may be able to minimize/repair it w/ the swingarm still on the bike.

Old 11-24-2012, 06:58 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Gotcbr pretty much nailed it. Only thing I could add, is gonna be based on how well
you can turn a wrench. You, at least know, that you need the manual.

How well are you equiped? Do you have the basic tools, stands, etc.?

You got shelter or are you gonna be doing it on the curb?
Most of the stuff you're talking, is bolt-on. So the curb is do-able. ;-)

Swapping a swing-arm, at the curb, would be a seriously stud-like thing to attempt,
imo. That's a lot of parts to track. So I hope you got a shed/garage, etc, if that's
an issue.

As Gotcbr asked, "How bad is the swing-arm? If it's not bent, the bearings should be intact
(although, I'd check them). Have you given it the serious, MKI eye-ball?

Is it obvious damage, or do you just, 'suspect', there might be issues?
Take some pics and post them, inquiring minds want to know.

As mentioned, it's a bum that you took a dive, and hurt your beastie.
Pleased to hear you got off, pretty much, unharmed.

Ern

Last edited by MadHattr059; 11-24-2012 at 07:06 PM.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:02 PM

I got a garage to work and and a lot of my dads equipment. I also have a lot of riding buddies who will most likely have anything I need if I don't.

As far as the swing arm, I suspect its just cosmetic damage. Also, another thing I just noticed, the plastic pieces at the front of the gas tank (don't know what they are called) are not spaced the same. Not sure if they were like that before the crash. How would I go about checking if something got bent out of line? Here are some pics. Thanks for the help guys.

IMG_1246.jpeg
IMG_1247.jpeg
IMG_1248.jpeg
IMG_1254.PNG

Old 11-24-2012, 09:10 PM

Whoops. Let me figure out how to upload pics and I will post them lol

Old 11-24-2012, 09:17 PM
Old 11-24-2012, 09:24 PM

On the swing arm I'm mainly just concerned about the fact that it's a weld that got worn down.

Sorry about the bunches of posts. I'm new at this :P

Old 11-25-2012, 06:30 AM

the weld is stronger than the metal itself, not sure how worn down it is though. <- actually that may not be true. if its steel then it can be if aluminum i dunno.
the plastic piece at the right of the tank looks like it isnt pushed down and clipped into the tank..
there is a spot it pushes into the tank and a clip like i said, see if you can peek in there and see the little plastic piece that grabs the tank.
you may want to invest in a new chain as well, sprockets too, if the wreck was a result of the wheel coming up then you may have bigger rear/smaller front sprocket.

Last edited by RudyGT; 11-25-2012 at 06:38 AM.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:28 PM

Why new chain and sprockets? Just to be on the safe side because of the wreck or because they may be -front/+rear? I was told the wreck was probably because I was accelerating fast on a curve and when I hit a road reflector the tire skipped and got a little wheel spin going. (you can see the nice skid mark next to the road reflector)

Old 11-27-2012, 05:30 AM

your chain looks way rusted and and your sprockets probably arent in decent shape.
i've never had a chain come off but i wouldnt want to, it also must make a horrible sound.

Quick Reply: New 05 F4i owner - recommended parts?