CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Neutral light "sometimes" works (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/neutral-light-sometimes-works-122736/)

Dragondima 03-21-2011 12:40 AM

Neutral light "sometimes" works

Hey guys. So i've been knocking things off of my check-off list, and finally came to the neutral light.

The issue is that it works...sometimes, and not always. I've been trying to see a pattern to it, but there really isn't any. It gets in to neutral very well, and the lightly randomly will decide to turn on (when in neutral of course). Sometimes it'll flicker, sometimes it'll stay consistent for the entire day, and sometimes it won't turn on at all till a day or two later. I'm curious if it's maybe a lose plug or something.

Any input would be appreciated! and even pictures would be great :D

nickp123 03-21-2011 12:53 AM

yeah sounds it like could be a loose/bad connection or wire. Look at the wiring diagram and check the neutral light wire and connections and the ground for the gauge cluster and such. id start with that then go from there

thirdgenlxi 03-21-2011 07:51 AM

More than likely it's the neutral indicator switch.... it has a brass tip that gets worn down over time from the shift drum hitting it in the same spot over and over again, it angles the tip, thus not pushing it in far enough for it to make contact. I'd replace the switch and you should be good to go

Dragondima 03-21-2011 09:26 AM

Thanks guys.

I'll try and check the gauge cluster tonight, and i'll have to do some research as to neutral indicator switch. I'm having a hard time believing it's that just because sometimes it'll be in neutral and light will randomly turn on, it's a switch then why would it hit again?

nickp123 03-21-2011 11:04 AM

yeah i agree with you dragon it sounds more like a faulty connection/wire especially with it flickering and randomly coming on. If it was the switch id think itd either not work at all or only sometimes when you put it into neutral. Not a little bit after the fact. Putting it in neutral and bouncing the bike or going for a ride and putting it in neutral and going over some small bumps or cracks in the road and watching to see if that causes the light to flicker or turn on/off could be an easy way to reaffirm that. (of course find an empty or secluded road to do this on)

edit: you arent having any other issues related to this one right? like when the neutral light doesnt come on or flickers none of the other instrument lights or anything are acting in a similar manner? its JUST the neutral light thats doing this?

Dragondima 03-21-2011 01:35 PM

Yes, JUST the neutral light. I took a ride on Friday (72 degree weather FTW!), and on Sunday, and it was fairly sporadic.

nickp123 03-21-2011 02:21 PM

hmm well then trace the wire for it its the green and red one. Just trace that and see if you find anything suspect.

thirdgenlxi 03-21-2011 04:47 PM

The switch will cause it to flicker... it's at a spot where it's just barely making contact, and sometimes will and sometimes won't, often dependent on temperature. I'll bet money on it being the switch.... I've already went through this with mine. If you want to check it just pull the switch out and look at the tip.... if the tip is beveled instead of flat, then there's your problem

nickp123 03-21-2011 06:21 PM

well then definitely take his word over mine if hes had the same problem cuz ive never dealt with this issue before. How does the switch work that it can cause that/what do they look like?