F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Need urgent help. Bike is my daily driver.

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2018, 03:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Towlieee
That Red/white wire, with the 20amp fuse. It runs directly from the battery, to the Engine Stop relay, that's it.

When the engine stop relay is "on", it then sends that power out on the Black/White wire.. That Black/White wire splits off and powers all the things I listed above (injectors, coils, etc etc). It also powers the fuel cut relay.

When the fuel cut relay is "on" it only sends power out its Brown wire just to power the fuel pump.

So what it sounds like to me, either one or both of your relays aare somehow shorting out internally (I doubt that, but I'm not an expert by any means), Or more likely, the Black/White wire that splits off and powers a few things, has a dead short to ground somewhere.

The black/white wire also sends power to the ECU, so now that I think about it, the short could be inside the ECU. You could also try disconnecting the ECU, but leaving the relays hookedup, and see if it shorts.

when i unplug engine cut relay the FI fuse don’t blow, but once It in the fuse blows. Fuse isn’t bothered at all with the fuel cut relay

Old 10-08-2018, 08:09 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Shook772

when i unplug engine cut relay the FI fuse don’t blow, but once It in the fuse blows. Fuse isn’t bothered at all with the fuel cut relay
Does it also blow with the ECU disconnected?

Old 10-08-2018, 08:33 PM

If it also blows with the ECU disconnected, Then the ONLY thing left would be the Black/White wire(s).

Unfortunately that means you either need to replace the harness(s), or find the short and repair it.

To recap and make sure we didn't miss anything.
You tried disconnecting the 4 plugs under the gas tank
The 6 pin black ignition coil plug
The 3 pin Fuel pump plug
The 2 pin air exhaust solenoid (thingy above valve cover)
The 10 pin grey connector that runs to the Throttle Bodie sub harness to power the injectors+sensors

You also tried removin relays one at a time

And also tried with the ECU disconnected

AND TO VERIFY, you are doing all these tests,with your burn up stator and Regulator/Rectifier disconnected?

The short is going to be in either your bikes Main wire harness, or in your rear sub harness (the harness that the Engine Stop and Fuel Cut relays connect to).
You have two options, either replace, or find it and repair the short.

Old 10-08-2018, 08:40 PM

If it also blows with the ECU disconnected, Then the ONLY thing left would be the Black/White wire(s).

Unfortunately that means you either need to replace the harness(s), or find the short and repair it.

To recap and make sure we didn't miss anything.
You tried disconnecting the 4 plugs under the gas tank
The 6 pin black ignition coil plug
The 3 pin Fuel pump plug
The 2 pin air exhaust solenoid (thingy above valve cover)
The 10 pin grey connector that runs to the Throttle Bodie sub harness to power the injectors+sensors

You also tried removin relays one at a time

And also tried with the ECU disconnected

AND TO VERIFY, you are doing all these tests,with your burn up stator and Regulator/Rectifier disconnected?

The short is going to be in either your bikes Main wire harness, or in your rear sub harness (the harness that the Engine Stop and Fuel Cut relays connect to).
You have two options, either replace, or find it and repair the short.

yeah its blowing wing when I keep engine shut off relay plugged in. If I unplug that relay it won’t blow. But if I keep it plugged in and unplug ecu it don’t blow but when I plug in ecu it blows

Old 10-08-2018, 08:50 PM

If you decide to repair, the way I personally go about things is...

First (I should have mentioned this a lil earlier) all the plugs I had you disconnect, I assume NONE were melted like your stators plug? They all looked fine?

Remove the Main Harness and the rear sub harness from the bike. Investigate or any possible easy to spot damage (pinched portions, any sign of melting from heat, cuts). If you find sins of damage, cut the tape/loom from the harness in that area to investigate.

If you find no obvious damage, I'd first cut the entire loom/tape from the sub harness first since its smaller. Use a sharp razor blade, and be careful not to cut into the wires!
Continue on until you find the problem spot, and repair the damage. Any repairs you make, please solder them, don't just twist them together!!!

Old 10-08-2018, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Shook772

yeah its blowing wing when I keep engine shut off relay plugged in. If I unplug that relay it won’t blow. But if I keep it plugged in and unplug ecu it don’t blow but when I plug in ecu it blows
THERE WE GO!

Your ecu is fried im 99% sure

Old 10-08-2018, 09:05 PM

THERE WE GO!

Your ecu is fried im 99% sure

do do you know where I can get one for a decent price without breaking my bank?

Old 10-08-2018, 09:07 PM

I guess I should have had you unplug the ecu earlier as that's a simple check lol... O well, we found where the short is coming from!

I've always known f4i's pretty much inside and out, and I've been diagnosing and repairing electrical issues on many things or years. But on my current f4i build, I decided to get "intimate". So f4i wiring is more than fresh in my head bwhahaha

Old 10-10-2018, 12:21 PM

I guess I should have had you unplug the ecu earlier as that's a simple check lol... O well, we found where the short is coming from!

I've always known f4i's pretty much inside and out, and I've been diagnosing and repairing electrical issues on many things or years. But on my current f4i build, I decided to get "intimate". So f4i wiring is more than fresh in my head bwhahaha

So here my newest information. Bike had hids, the bright would never come on unless I turned high beam switch on and hit front brakes or a bump but next little bump or etc and it would go out. Today I cut all zip ties on headlight wiring harness pulled the mess out and was looking at wires. There’s a ground that isn’t hooked to anything and some open end wires just hanging. After I pulled all wires away from radiator and untangled them I turn key on and none of my fuses blow now. Not even my fi fuse but I’m only getting 0.32 volts to my fuel pump harness.

Old 10-10-2018, 12:21 PM

And also forgot to mention I don’t have a bank sensor looked like previous owner bypassed it.

Quick Reply: Need urgent help. Bike is my daily driver.