CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Need some pointers - First road trip - California law (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/need-some-pointers-first-road-trip-california-law-118866/)

600F4inoober 11-22-2010 10:52 AM

Need some pointers - First road trip - California law

So I am pondering taking the F4i on its first road trip. The distance is 375 miles from Scottsdale Arizona to Mission Viejo California. It will take approx 6hrs and I have driven it dozens of times in a car. My fiancé would be driving our car along side and the reason for taking the bike is so we can ride up and down PCH over the weekend. The weather forecast shows little to no rain and temps in the mid 50’s/low 60’s.

What pointers can you give me? Also, what can I expect from a long ride with the F4i (e.g. sore wrists, butt and back)

And most importantly, WHAT LAWS SHOULD I BE AWARE OF WHEN RIDING IN CALIFORNIA esp. with an out of state plate etc???? Here in Arizona, the motorcycle laws are pretty lax. I just want to make sure I’m legal when riding in CA as I don’t want to be hassled. Things like an out of state plate/registration/M endorsement/flush blinkers up front/gear (I always wear my helmet but that’s it).

Edit: After some reading, the only gear mandatory in CA is a helmet. I also read up on lane-splitting. Also this quote here "
If your vehicle is equipped as manufactured and it is approved by the Department of Transportation in YOUR STATE, it is legal in all states. Federal regulations. They override state regulations."

Last random question: I am coming up on 2500 miles for my oil. SHould I change it before or after the trip? Also, does everyone change the filter every change? Is it fine to just do the oil and not filter?

jeffjones 11-22-2010 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by 600F4inoober (Post 990224)
So I am pondering taking the F4i on its first road trip. The distance is 375 miles from Scottsdale Arizona to Mission Viejo California. It will take approx 6hrs and I have driven it dozens of times in a car. My fiancé would be driving our car along side and the reason for taking the bike is so we can ride up and down PCH over the weekend. The weather forecast shows little to no rain and temps in the mid 50’s/low 60’s.

What pointers can you give me? Also, what can I expect from a long ride with the F4i (e.g. sore wrists, butt and back)

And most importantly, WHAT LAWS SHOULD I BE AWARE OF WHEN RIDING IN CALIFORNIA esp. with an out of state plate etc???? Here in Arizona, the motorcycle laws are pretty lax. I just want to make sure I’m legal when riding in CA as I don’t want to be hassled. Things like an out of state plate/registration/M endorsement/flush blinkers up front/gear (I always wear my helmet but that’s it).

Edit: After some reading, the only gear mandatory in CA is a helmet. I also read up on lane-splitting. Also this quote here "
If your vehicle is equipped as manufactured and it is approved by the Department of Transportation in YOUR STATE, it is legal in all states. Federal regulations. They override state regulations."

Last random question: I am coming up on 2500 miles for my oil. SHould I change it before or after the trip? Also, does everyone change the filter every change? Is it fine to just do the oil and not filter?

As for laws Im in Canada so have no idea!
As for your Oil change I would do one before the trip just so it has nice fresh oil in it since it will be running for along period of time (there, back and all around).
And I know the F4i can take a longer oil filter where you can change it every other change or so but I personally have changed my oil filter everytime I change my Oil.
Have a fun trip, and be thankful for that warm weather. were getting snow all week lol.

Oh and not sure if it would work on an F4i but my father in law has a "throttle rocker" on his bike for long drives. it goes around your throttle on the grip by velcro and has a plastic piece that go just under the base of your hand and holds the throttle for you, so you dont have to keep a tight grip.
He loves it and there like $12

gotcbr 11-22-2010 02:30 PM

Yes, lane-sharing/lane-splitting is legal in CA.

Make sure you have a license plate light.

375 mi is quite a bit but not too terribly bad. Take frequent breaks to stretch & hydrate...especially if you're super-slabbing it. Wear earplugs - you'll find that you'll feel fresher when you stop. Long periods of wind-noise at speed can really wear you out w/o earplugs.

Speaking of wind & cooler temps...wear warm socks, glove-liners, & a neck warmer. Comfort pays dividends on long rides.

Having a chase-car really makes for a nice security blanket for you. Things she can carry for you are...a small took kit, cleaner & towel to wipe off your visor, etc. Yep, that's a real plus.

Yes, it would be a good idea to change your oil & filter b/f the trip. Check all your fluids. Check your air pressures.

Main thing is to not be in a hurry or be worried about the clock. Just enjoy the ride. Enjoy! :icon_bike:

kilgoretrout 11-22-2010 03:07 PM

My best advice for a long ride is to ditch the regular underwear or boxers for some under armor or equivalent. You can get the riding shorts if you like. The reason is that it's seamless (no pressure/chafe points) and it breathes and wicks away moisture way better than regular cotton stuff. I've done well over 600miles in a day and it makes a huge difference.
You're gonna get a little uncomfortable here and there, just move around some and you'll be fine.

On the oil, yeah... I'd probably change it. Filters every change, also.

And you're right about the legality of equipment. If your bike is considered good to go in your state.... that's what matters. Helmet laws are different, tho.... that goes by the state you're in.

boredandstroked 11-22-2010 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by jeffjones (Post 990269)
And I know the F4i can take a longer oil filter where you can change it every other change or so

And you have what data to back that up?
F4i bearings, pistons rings, rockers etc are just like any other and fail when subjected to abuse like not changing the oil and filter. If anything the data out there shows when using synthetic oil to change the filter more frequently then the oil.

Berto 11-22-2010 05:02 PM

Bring a good tire kit and a small set of tools to supplement that. If you're worried about wrists, arms and back, you can adjust the bars up and back a bit. There are pair of wire snap rings that will inhibit this; you can remove these temporarily.

375 is a good day-- 6 to 7 hours. Start as early as you can. Stop a lot. Stretch. I stop about every hour and I've done 600 in a day a couple of times. Change position on the bike as much as can and frequently as you can.

I have a Throttlemeister on my F4 and wouldn't be without it. Really makes a difference in comfort.

Ah, California. How I love it. You can lane split the hell out of that state on an F4. It will slip between <i>anything </i>. Just watch those mirrors. And have fun.

jeffjones 11-22-2010 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by boredandstroked (Post 990311)
And you have what data to back that up?
F4i bearings, pistons rings, rockers etc are just like any other and fail when subjected to abuse like not changing the oil and filter. If anything the data out there shows when using synthetic oil to change the filter more frequently then the oil.

Sorry, The longer filter just extends the interval between oil changes. So if you were to change it every 3k you might get 4k out of the longer filter but if you did your changes every 2k then you could probably change it every other time.
Again Im just guesstimating on the mileage.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...l_Filters.aspx

Berto 11-22-2010 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by jeffjones (Post 990339)
Sorry, The longer filter just extends the interval between oil changes. So if you were to change it every 3k you might get 4k out of the longer filter but if you did your changes every 2k then you could probably change it every other time.
Again Im just guesstimating on the mileage.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...l_Filters.aspx

Interesting. I'd sure like to see the wear numbers on that advertising claim. The thing is, filtering the oil is only part of the equation. Film strength degrades with use and oils tend to shear out of grade.

I suppose synthetics are better, but with a semi-synthetic, the film degradation may be as large a factor as oil contamination in wear numbers. I change both every 3K; easy and cheap.

Xander F4i 11-22-2010 08:17 PM

Oil and a filter are definitely cheaper than a motor, so if you are questioning your bikes oil, change it and the filter. I've also heard great things about throttlemeisters.

gotcbr 11-22-2010 08:19 PM

600F4inoober, be sure to check & set your tire pressures for highway riding.