F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Need some help.Whats wrong here?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 05:30 PM
June 2011 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help.Whats wrong here?

When the bike is warmed up it doesnt do it. If it sits for a day when I go to start it Itll turn over for a second and then clunk. Then it wont turn over at all. Then it fires right up a second later. Sometimes it takes longer than others. The battery seems to have charge, but it acts like its dead sometimes if that makes any sense.

Old 02-23-2009, 05:33 PM

How old is your battery? What is the temperature outside when you try to start it? Are the connections on the battery to the cables secure and tight? It is possible you have a loose connection or your battery might be time to be replaced.

Old 02-23-2009, 06:08 PM

i would have said loose battery connection but that doesn't really make sense, unless its cold out. if its cold, the wires get stiff and if the connection is loose, it could make a bad connection. when it warms up, the wires settle and the connection is made...

just my $0.02

Old 02-23-2009, 09:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

fpr leak maybe, hydrolocking after setting overnite. check the fpr just to be sure.

Old 02-24-2009, 01:01 AM
July 2008 ROTM

Originally Posted by jonld
fpr leak maybe, hydrolocking after setting overnite. check the fpr just to be sure.
If I recall correctly, a flooded motor won't just stop turning over. It'll try and try and try to ignite, and just keep clicking at you. For this person, it starts to click and then just stops. That usually screams electric issue.

I'd be willing to guess it's a loose connection somewhere, either on the battery or a corroded connection in the wiring harness.

Old 02-24-2009, 12:58 PM

Depends on how bad the leak is. Pull the vacuum line off the FPR if its wet, that is most likely your problem.

The vacuum line from the FPR goes to the intake manifold. No matter where the engine is sitting (rotation) one or two intake valves will be open, and on a 600cc engine, the cyclinders are tiny and doesn't take a whole lot of gas to hydrolock that cylinder.

My bike had the exact same symptom, that and it smelled rich when idling and got like 28 mpg.

My money is on the FPR, when you order it, it does come with the O-ring.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:43 PM

I second the FPR...

Old 03-09-2009, 08:20 AM
June 2011 ROTM

All of my cables on my battery are nice and tight. Its the battery that was in it when I bought it so im not sure how old it is.
I dont know what an FPR is. anyone care to shed some light lol

Old 03-09-2009, 08:26 AM
June 2011 ROTM

Originally Posted by wwarnke
Depends on how bad the leak is. Pull the vacuum line off the FPR if its wet, that is most likely your problem.

The vacuum line from the FPR goes to the intake manifold. No matter where the engine is sitting (rotation) one or two intake valves will be open, and on a 600cc engine, the cyclinders are tiny and doesn't take a whole lot of gas to hydrolock that cylinder.

My bike had the exact same symptom, that and it smelled rich when idling and got like 28 mpg.

My money is on the FPR, when you order it, it does come with the O-ring.
your dead on here. It smells rich at idle and 28 mpg. The kid I bought it from even said it gets 28mpg

Old 03-09-2009, 08:30 AM
June 2011 ROTM

fuel pressure regulator

Quick Reply: Need some help.Whats wrong here?