CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Need some help guise! PC3 + Bootleg + BMC Filter (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/need-some-help-guise-pc3-bootleg-bmc-filter-122987/)

600F4inoober 03-25-2011 03:38 PM

Need some help guise! PC3 + Bootleg + BMC Filter

Alright...heres whats going on

Ever since I installed my USB PC3 (2 brothers map - works well with a bootleg pipe)

I have been hearing louder than normal engine chatter....The bike runs waay better now with the PC3, the power and smoothness is fluent throughout....Now I am not sure if it is just coincidence or not but heres the symptoms

1. At idle esp...and most all other rpms I hear a "ticking" is it possible that the injectors are this loud? It's a noticeable/audible ticking....I figured it was the now louder injectors due to the new map but wanted reassurnace that the F4i injectors can in fact be this loud!?....if thats it then ok thats fine

2. At idle and esp at 2500rpm, there is this "chatter"...almost sounds like very loose valves/valve float or something...it is def aside from the injector sound...it seems to be less audible or gone completely at higher than 3000 rpm...obviously not the CCTL as that is up near 5500rpm and my CCTL is fairly new...If I sit there at idle and put my ear to the engine...it is for sure top end/valvetrain chatter?! At first I thought maybe an exhaust leak...but I think Ive ruled that out

3. Not sure how to explain this...it only happened just in the past hour when I rode to lunch...I heard this "crackling" almost like rocks hitting the windshield or fairings....but its coming from near my forks/front inner housing area? I was cruising and I started to hear it...NO it was not actaul road debris....I pulled over bc anything having to due with the front suspension/wheel freaks me out...I have nightmares about the front wheel coming off (haha I have no clue where it came from)...but anyway, I pulled over and nothing? I'll have to keep an eye on this

More than anything Number 2 and number 1 are the most important!!!

Thanks for the ideas/input on whats going on here!

600F4inoober 03-28-2011 04:34 PM

Ok guys an update after riding ~300 miles this weekend...Its in the 80-90's here in AZ:icon_playing:

Forget #3.
Im going to chalk up #1 to the injectors!? (Are they really that loud?)

#2 is DEFINITELY bothering me.....it IS audible ticking at idle but more predominantly at 2500rpm to 3000rpm...goes up and follows quicker/louder with rpm...sounds like valve ticking? I dont hear it after 3000rpm though but then again thats maybe bc the engine altogether itself gets louder and my bootleg starts screaming at me:icon_teeth:

speedyf4i 03-28-2011 04:47 PM

I'm having this exact problem...is ur tick on the left or right (when sitting on the bike) of the engine. i didnt know exhaust leaks make a ticking noise...is it caused by a loose bolt on the manifold or a leaking gasket or something?

600F4inoober 03-28-2011 04:53 PM

Eh its coming from the valvetrain/top end it sounds like...I hear it while on the bike...and when I park I let the engine idle I put my ear next to the left side (non-exhaust/slip on) side and can hear it..

If you have an exhaust leak, the air makes a pfftttt or spitting sound but exhaust leaks can make quite some odd noises making you think its something else....

speedyf4i 03-28-2011 05:15 PM

yea thats what im getting to....i was hoping it wasnt the valves, i dont really feel like taking the bike apart again...well if u have any other theories post em up...i had checked cctl, ignition coils, spark plugs, changed the oil, took the fairings off to inspect for rocks or loose bolts rattling...i came up empty everytime...ill check the exhaust for leaks now i guess...i never did check the manifold nuts...hopefully i can sneak my hand in there.

600F4inoober 03-28-2011 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by speedyf4i (Post 1031869)
yea thats what im getting to....i was hoping it wasnt the valves, i dont really feel like taking the bike apart again...well if u have any other theories post em up...i had checked cctl, ignition coils, spark plugs, changed the oil, took the fairings off to inspect for rocks or loose bolts rattling...i came up empty everytime...ill check the exhaust for leaks now i guess...i never did check the manifold nuts...hopefully i can sneak my hand in there.

Try to put a small piece of paper next to the spots in question...should see the paper moving! Not too close though or youl start a bon fire:icon_emm::icon_teeth: