CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Need help troubleshooting... (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/need-help-troubleshooting-126544/)

bmorecbr 06-06-2011 07:29 AM

Need help troubleshooting...

here goes:2001 F4i ~25,000 miles. I was our riding and my fuel light came one. I stopped for fuel, filled up and rode off. About a mile or so later (around the same time the fuel light reset and went back off) the red light came on and the bike cut off. All electronics were were still working including the headlight. I pulled the tank off and checked all the connections around it and everything seemed in order. Also tapped on the fuel pump, no luck. The engine doesn't turn over and the fuel pump does not prime when i turn the bike on. Any suggestions on where go from here??

Survivalism 06-06-2011 08:18 AM

Check your fuses if you have not yet, thats now the very first thing i check when anything goes wrong out of the blue.

Kuroshio 06-06-2011 08:38 AM

Things that would cause the pump not to prime
  • Fuses
  • Bank Angle Sensor
  • Killswitch

If I missed any, someone else can add it. Killswitch could be faulting. Somewhat common for the solder in it to break after years. Fuse should always be the first check though. BAS will do it as well. Kickstand sensor won't stop the pump from priming so that's out.

Till you get the pump to prime, you won't get it to fire

bmorecbr 06-06-2011 10:43 AM

thanks for the quick response, going to start working on it as soon as i get off work

bmorecbr 06-06-2011 04:22 PM

aaaand it was the bank angle sensor fuse. I can't believe i didn't check the fuses first.:icon_doh: Thanks for the help again!!

yunebug 06-06-2011 04:24 PM

Just on the off-chance this might happen:

Did anything drop into the tank while fueling?

The fuel light went off at the same time the FI light came on, right? Could this mean that the ECM switched the fuel line so that the pump was getting fuel from the regular spout (and not the reserve spout further down in the tank) and then something got sucked in (or is blocking the regular spout)?

bmorecbr 06-07-2011 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by yunebug (Post 1064041)
Just on the off-chance this might happen:

Did anything drop into the tank while fueling?

The fuel light went off at the same time the FI light came on, right? Could this mean that the ECM switched the fuel line so that the pump was getting fuel from the regular spout (and not the reserve spout further down in the tank) and then something got sucked in (or is blocking the regular spout)?

I had just refueled but as far as i know nothing fell in the tank. If it did wouldn't that just stop the fuel flow and cut the bike off as if i ran out of fuel? OR would it cut the bike off and blow the bank angle sensor fuse as well??

yunebug 06-07-2011 07:18 PM

My worry was that whatever piece of something it was, it was sitting on/in the normal spout when it fell in the tank. Then when the ECM switched from the reserve spout to the normal spout, fuel was cut off (hence te FI light) because of the blockage.

Not too familiar with the normal vs reserve spout programming in the ECM. Someone correct me? <:0)

Kuroshio 06-07-2011 07:29 PM

Popping a fuse is electrical. Always. A blockage will not cause a fuse to blow.

I think the fueling part is coincidental since the blown fuse was the cause. Sounds like you have something grounding out and it was coincidence that you just filled up. More likely something in the road caused a short somewhere