CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Need help with integrating stock tail light (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/need-help-integrating-stock-tail-light-152080/)

Rbach 05-27-2014 01:45 PM

Need help with integrating stock tail light

I am using a trailer light converter to integrate my stock tail light. I was following a guide on here, but nobody has posted in that thread for years, so I figured I'd get more help by starting a new one.

My problem is that when I hit either signal I get a flash from both signal indicators on the dashboard (like hazard lights) and nothing happens at the tail light. (I don't have front signals connected right now, I don't know if that makes a difference). Also, when I hit the brakes, nothing happens at the tail light, but both signal indicators light up steadily (not blinking) on the dashboard.

I have it wired it up like this:

-Orange wire that would go to right signal goes into converter

-Blue wire that would go to left signal goes into converter

-Green/yellow coming from bike goes into converter as stop (as I understand the wiring diagram, that should be the brake light wire)

-The left output (from the converter), which should now be brake and left signal, goes into the left tail light bulb where the brake light wire went in (green/yellow)

-Right side same thing--right output to where green/yellow went into right bulb

Green wires (ground) on both tail lights as well as the black/brown (always on wire, I think) were left alone.

Did I wire it up wrong or is something else going on? One guide said to connect the black/yellow (I assume they meant green/yellow) going away from the bulb. It sounds like their instructions say to connect the wire coming out of the bulb of the light to the input of the trailer light converter, which doesn't make sense to me.

Any input on how to get this set up working properly is greatly appreciated.

Scott91370 05-29-2014 09:26 PM

You did separate the green/yellow wires from the left and right side bulbs, right?

Also, are you sure the blue and orange are the 12v+ and not the ground wire for signal? I haven't looked at one in years for wiring so I don't remember.

I know this isn't part of it, but the you mention taillight for both tail and stop/brake light.

Rbach 05-30-2014 04:08 PM

I did make sure to disconnect the green/yellow wire before going to both bulbs. I cut it before it split off and connected that single wire to the converter.

As for the turn signals, the other wires were green if I recall correctly. I was under the impression green always means ground. But I will take a look at that tonight.

If it helps diagnose the problem, I used this diagram to wire it up: http://sportbikeguy.com/garage/floor/signalint/sprtbntsignal.pdf

Thanks for the reply! I'm gonna double check which wires have the power for the signals. Sounds like a logical solution.

Also, some trailer light converters have 4 inputs as well as a ground wire (or maybe the 4th is the ground wire). This one doesn't seem to have a ground connection, though it's connected to wires that have a common ground. I picked this one because it is compact and doesn't require power from the battery as some do. But is it possible this is the wrong type of trailer converter for this application?

Rbach 05-30-2014 11:36 PM

I switched the signal wires up and it seems to be functioning better.

The brake light functions, and signal lights on the cluster light up as normal (though a little slower on the flash than usual) but the tail lights do not flash for the signal. Could this be that I don't have front bulbs in and that is affecting the resistance on the wire?

Or, have I missed some detail in the wiring that is preventing the bulbs from flashing?

Thanks again for the help!

Scott91370 05-31-2014 09:32 PM

So the dash light flashes but the actual blinker on the back of the bike doesn't? Do the blinker on the back of the bike light up when you turn on e blinker?
I think when I had one that went out it would come on and stay on solid, so maybe hooking up the front will change it.

Rbach 06-02-2014 12:15 AM

The dash light flashes but nothing happens at the tail light, which is now also (supposed to be) the blinker for the rear. The blinkers worked fine before they were disconnected, and when I disconnected them I ran the wires into the trailer light converter.

I tried putting a bulb into the front signal and this did not remedy the problem. The front worked like it is supposed to, but at the rear again nothing happened.

I definitely have the wires hooked up correctly this time. I can't think of anything else that needs to be connected except the orange and blue wires that are on the signal path, I just don't see where they would go. According to the diagram I used they can just get capped and ignored. But I'm now inclined to think they connect to something somewhere.

I'm (fairly) sure it's hooked up properly (other than the one wire from each signal path I mentioned) and that the converter works because the brake light is working, and the front signals still maintain functionality.

If anyone can think of where I should connect the orange and blue wires that were capped or any other ideas, I would definitely give those suggestions a try.