F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Need Help after Two Bros Slipon Install Please

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 11:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help after Two Bros Slipon Install Please

Hi all. I just joined and dig the community already..

Two days ago I replaced my stock muffler with a Two Brothers M2 VALE carbon fiber exhaust I bought off a guy on Craigslist. The exhaust is about 3 yrs old with about 1k mikes on it, and is in excellent condition. The install was super easy: a ring clamp to connect the exhaust pipe to the header pipe, and the support ring that goes around the can itself.. So after a few miles on my test ride, the bike started stuttering/lurching really bad in 2nd and 3rd, the Fi light started coming on, and the bike was turning off as I came to a light or stop sign. I realized the pipe had an O2 port that I hadn't done anything with (my stock exhaust didn't have one), so I went to the hardware store and got a bolt and capped it off. Bike's still doing the same thing.

Have I missed something obvious? I shouldn't need a power commander should I? Is this problem unrelated to the new exhaust? I'm very confused about what I'm missing. Anything you all can offer is much appreciated. Thanks in advance..

Old 04-08-2012, 11:42 PM

Well since you said your old exhaust didnt have the o2 sensor bung im assuming you dont have a cali bike which requires one for the exhaust. The slip on itself or that o2 sensor hole shouldnt have caused any problems besides an obnoxious exhaust leak. So im assuming your problem is elsewhere. You didnt unplug or touch anything else when you were swapping out the exhausts did you?

Old 04-08-2012, 11:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would double check the battery connection. make sure the terminals are screwed in tight. If all is well, then you need see what the code is.

Old 04-09-2012, 12:20 AM

I had a similar issue. Clean out the 2 plugs and sensors on the air box, and BAM. (i have a jardine slip on with no o2 senser)

Old 04-09-2012, 09:23 AM
June 2012 Ride of the Month

Its sounds like a pure coincidence that it started happening shortly after your slip on install, because I don't believe the change in pipe would cause any problems. Ive personally had 4 different pipes on my bike ranging from the stock pipe to a atv pipe from previous owner to a micron high mount and finally a scorpion powercone designed for a 08 gsxr600 and have never had any FI issues.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:44 AM

Not a cali bike, and I didn't mess around with anything else during the install. However, I have recently taken out my battery so mnguyen's suggestion holds some water. I'm at work now but will recheck that.

I've been having what I believe to be a stator issue where my battery intermittently turns up dead. Got a new battery and it's still happening; but I bring it up because recently I took the battery out to have it charged. I may have some terminal issue..

So it doesn't sound like my install has anything to do with the problems I'm seeing, thanks everyone. I will also check out the airbox and BAM, thanks Bob. I appreciate the input! I'll post an update soon..

Old 04-09-2012, 09:50 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

have you checked your charging voltage? a bad r/r can do funny things...

Old 04-09-2012, 12:38 PM

K, will do. Meanwhile, here's a pic.

Attached Thumbnails Need Help after Two Bros Slipon Install Please-20120404_192718.jpg  
Old 04-09-2012, 05:13 PM

I have heard you should use a power commander with an aftermarket pipe. You could put your factory pipe back on and see if it runs any different. that would let you know if it was exhaust related.

Old 04-09-2012, 06:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you might want to install a new slator/alternator. it's easy and cheap.

Quick Reply: Need Help after Two Bros Slipon Install Please