F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Need help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 07:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is actually heli-coil. I know exactly what you are talking about. I believe there are 6 studs sticking up from the hole. The plate that sticks up will prolly be too thin to put a heli-coil in. You prolly dont want to hear it but a replacement tank is the propper fix. Another way you might consider is cleaning all the paint off of the area in question & welding a bolt in its place. Then cutting off the head of the bolt. Make sure all the fuel is cleaned out & well ventilated.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You would be correct about it being in the f4i section, however not everyone here only works on f4i's. When you work on many different bikes they tend to get jumbled together. If we are going to get technical, its not a bolt on the tank. Its a stud. Also a helicoil is definately not the appropriate fix. Welding a new stud on or replacing the tank would be. If I were going to do I would get a bolt the same size as the studs. I would grind the broken one off flush and then drill it and weld the bolt from inside out. Head of the bolt would be inside which isng going to hurt anything and the hole is sealed with a new stud. It's your bike do what you want.

Old 02-04-2010, 08:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its been fixed, no need for further discussion. Thank You to call of your input.