CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   need to get a Grip (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/need-get-grip-129920/)

Mr Pipa 08-21-2011 08:54 PM

need to get a Grip

Any longer than 40 mins on my bike and my hands go numb.....i think its mainly due to my old age but there must be a replacement grip I can use which will alleviate this problem. I have seen grip replacements range from $10 to $95 ...

Any experience and recommendations would be very appreciated

backyardmechanic 08-21-2011 11:30 PM

renthal grips

greenc51 08-22-2011 12:23 AM

get grips that are made of gel or foam

BIGT94z 08-22-2011 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by greenc51 (Post 1092230)
get grips that are made of gel or foam

+1 i hear great things with long rides using those

MadHattr059 08-22-2011 04:53 AM

Grips will help. I've heard good things about Renthal, too.
I love my Driven D3's, pricey but the best look as well as comfort, imo.

Also look at your wrists and see if some adjustments to the bars are in order.
You do not want any bend in your wrist, fore-arm should point straight to your knuckles.

On a lot of the sport bikes, you need to be supporting the weight of your body
with your belly not arms. Takes a while to build up the muscle (I'm still working
on the same issue). DON'T ride with your elbows locked. this leads to poor control and
the 'tingle' issue.

Ern

DonnyBrago 08-22-2011 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by MadHattr059 (Post 1092290)
Grips will help. I've heard good things about Renthal, too.
I love my Driven D3's, pricey but the best look as well as comfort, imo.

Also look at your wrists and see if some adjustments to the bars are in order.
You do not want any bend in your wrist, fore-arm should point straight to your knuckles.

On a lot of the sport bikes, you need to be supporting the weight of your body
with your belly not arms. Takes a while to build up the muscle (I'm still working
on the same issue). DON'T ride with your elbows locked. this leads to poor control and
the 'tingle' issue.

Ern

That ^ +1

If you get tingly hands it is probably because of poor riding position. It seems quite unnatural at first but support your body weight with your body, not your arms. Locking your elbows makes you rigid on the bike and makes it more difficult to steer, makes the bike over-respond to small input errors and prevents the bike from stabilising itself over rough ground, bumps etc.

Mr Pipa 08-22-2011 02:35 PM

These are some great tips!! I can see how my riding position is the underlying cause of my hands going numb, I def lock my elbows at times ,,,, I will focus on this and try to improve upon it. This is my first sport bike and it has taken a little getting used to....but at 44 yrs of age I am loving it.

I looked into the driven D3s and they look really good and if they help reduce some vibration then even better.

MadHattr059 08-22-2011 06:42 PM

Another thought as well, how do your gloves fit? Do they have a clean/smooth pad
for your palm? Look for bad pressure points, too tight/too loose? I have a problem
with finding stubby fingers on a gi-normous palm. If the fingers fit, squashes my
palm. If the palm fits...long, dangly fingers.

Glove fit can affect the 'tingles' problem. At least that's been my experience.

I'm a 52 year old by the way, until I got my new beastie, I hadn't ridden for
almost 12 years. I'm definetly fighting the same battle you are. I'm also
looking to get a bit of rear-set/riser over the stock clip-ons.

That will take a bit of the belly work out.
Did I mention, I was lazy?

Ern

Audi_F4i 08-22-2011 07:18 PM

having heavier bar end weights made of steel will cut down on vibration/buzz alot.

I got these ones off Ebay for cheap. They work good.
Weighted Honda Bar Ends CBR 600 F4i F4 F3 F2 Black | eBay

you can also get heavier ones from HVMP but they cost a little more.
Hudson Valley Motorsports Parts - Motorcycle Handle Bar Ends for Honda motor bikes to Reduce Vibrations

Mr Pipa 08-23-2011 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Audi_F4i (Post 1092562)
having heavier bar end weights made of steel will cut down on vibration/buzz alot.

I got these ones off Ebay for cheap. They work good.
Weighted Honda Bar Ends CBR 600 F4i F4 F3 F2 Black | eBay

you can also get heavier ones from HVMP but they cost a little more.
Hudson Valley Motorsports Parts - Motorcycle Handle Bar Ends for Honda motor bikes to Reduce Vibrations

Going to try our the HVMPs with the Driven D3 grips.......I have an Audi A4 Avant by the way !!! nice rides :icon_bike: