F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Need to change oil, any suggestions?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 04:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Need to change oil, any suggestions?!?!

No sense wringing hands over which oil. Use what you like but keep it clean

That has pretty much been my take on the subject...until I tried the repsol semi-syn10w40 in my 05 600rr. It noticably reduced the trannies clunkiness.I had been using Golden Spectro semi prior.

Cool little 211 too!

Old 10-06-2007, 05:26 PM

17,000 miles and i change it every 2000 miles. excessive yes, but i'm shooting for 100,000 miles

Old 10-06-2007, 05:31 PM

this is also a good guide:

http://www.shraz.net/motorcycle/f4i/oilandfilter/

Old 10-06-2007, 06:46 PM

I used Honda GN4 oil and a Honda oil filter (expensive yes). I'll see if I can find the website where a guy broke down a TON of oil filters...essentially finding the stock Honda filter is built like a tank with super filtration.

Just found it... http://www.tobycreek.org/oil_filters/honda.shtml

It really changed the way I thought about various oils and filters.

Anyway...I'm doing Honda GN4 and Honda oil filter until 5,000 miles. Then I'll switch to Amsoil 10w-40. EVERY fluid in ALL my cars and motorcycles is AMSOIL. When I say every fluid I mean EVERY fluid except gasoline...but I run Amsoil PI gas additive to a full tank of gasat every oil change. I've been using Amsoil for 10 years and I swear by it. I'll see if I can find the pics where my local toyota dealership (they are big on Amsoil)tore down my camry engine with 285,000 miles on it after using Amsoil only for 280,000 of those miles. The engine was immaculate. Have pics of piston wear etc. Anyway...I've used nothing but Amsoil since.

As a side note, IF you decide to ever use Amsoil, you MUST use Amsoi filters in order to use the oil for extended drain intervals...per Amsoils instructions. Now, you can use any filter you want. But Amsoil says clearly their oil is intended for extended intervals only if you use their extended interval filters.

Of course there are people who have used nothing butpetroleum based oils andhad exceptional results. You just don't get the same protection at start up and you don't get the extended intervals. It's all what you prefer. I'm an Amsoil guy personally...

I'll see if I can find my photo gallery where we tore down my camry engineseveral years back...

Old 10-06-2007, 07:56 PM

ORIGINAL: MotoGPFan26

I used Honda GN4 oil and a Honda oil filter (expensive yes). I'll see if I can find the website where a guy broke down a TON of oil filters...essentially finding the stock Honda filter is built like a tank with super filtration.

Just found it... http://www.tobycreek.org/oil_filters/honda.shtml

It really changed the way I thought about various oils and filters.

Anyway...I'm doing Honda GN4 and Honda oil filter until 5,000 miles. Then I'll switch to Amsoil 10w-40. EVERY fluid in ALL my cars and motorcycles is AMSOIL. When I say every fluid I mean EVERY fluid except gasoline...but I run Amsoil PI gas additive to a full tank of gasat every oil change. I've been using Amsoil for 10 years and I swear by it. I'll see if I can find the pics where my local toyota dealership (they are big on Amsoil)tore down my camry engine with 285,000 miles on it after using Amsoil only for 280,000 of those miles. The engine was immaculate. Have pics of piston wear etc. Anyway...I've used nothing but Amsoil since.

As a side note, IF you decide to ever use Amsoil, you MUST use Amsoi filters in order to use the oil for extended drain intervals...per Amsoils instructions. Now, you can use any filter you want. But Amsoil says clearly their oil is intended for extended intervals only if you use their extended interval filters.

Of course there are people who have used nothing butpetroleum based oils andhad exceptional results. You just don't get the same protection at start up and you don't get the extended intervals. It's all what you prefer. I'm an Amsoil guy personally...

I'll see if I can find my photo gallery where we tore down my camry engineseveral years back...
Nice info but that seems to be a little dated.:
More current info:
http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Fil...tml#OilFilters

Also ANY toyota with normal oil and regular oil changes will look great after that many miles.Nothing to do with amsoil..I have worked for toyota for over 17 years.Change your oil/filter when you are suppose to (any kind of oil) and it will look great inside...Ive seen many that have gone over the 300k mark and look new inside on normal oil..Ive also seen motors sludge up on amsoil and other synthetics .It all boils down to changing your oil..Not with any specific brand just as long as its changed on time..

Old 10-07-2007, 09:06 AM

schweet thanks for all the info guys, guess i have some readin to do.

white99gt....... I'm seriously inlove with your stang!!!!! [sm=Awwww.gif] [sm=smiley20.gif]
got any 1/4 times ?

Old 10-07-2007, 09:52 AM

I use the synthetic blend Motul with a Honda filter.I think that whatever oil you choose you shouldstick with it for the life of the bike.Something an old timer told me.Also you may want to get a socket type filter wrench for your bike.My filter was a bitch to get off without it!

Old 10-07-2007, 09:58 AM

ORIGINAL: jhtoy

Also you may want to get a socket type filter wrench for your bike.My filter was a bitch to get off without it!
Agreed!

First time I did my oil change I could not budge the filter one bit. I picked up a filter wrench, but it's not a socket type. I tried the socket type but didn't like it b/c it was hard for me to get the ratchet in between the plastics and filter and headers (i don't have any smaller wratchets). Here's what I picked up:

Either way, you will probably need some sort of filter wrench.

Old 10-07-2007, 10:10 AM

ORIGINAL: 06CBRF4i

schweet thanks for all the info guys, guess i have some readin to do.

white99gt....... I'm seriously inlove with your stang!!!!! [sm=Awwww.gif] [sm=smiley20.gif]
got any 1/4 times ?
Its a little slow for its setup ..ITs only gone 11.10 @ 134

Old 10-07-2007, 08:53 PM

I use motul full synthetic 5w40. $15 a quart is pretty steep but it's top shelf. smooth shifts, increased efficiency, cooler running engine.

Quick Reply: Need to change oil, any suggestions?!?!