F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

n00b trying to protect teh bike

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2006, 07:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default n00b trying to protect teh bike

first time posting, and looking for some information. i did search first!

i recently picked up an 01 F4i. it'll be my first bike and my starter, and it's in mint shape, well maintained, and never been dropped before. ideally yes, i could have started with something cheaper / older / crappier / more underpowered. but i didn't, so oh well

i'm anticipating the unevitable first-drop and would like to minimize damage. i've ordered some intuitive frame sliders for this (they were recommended over the vortex.. any thoughts on this?)

ideally though, i'd like to protect my fairings a bit more. one person suggested i throw a stunt cage on there.

how good / bad an idea is this? i don't care if i'll look stupid, i just don't want to hurt my bike! any recommended cages, if this is a route to go, or should i just stick with sliders?

thanks in advance

token pitcha:

Old 04-02-2006, 08:08 PM
Retired Mod
Default RE: n00b trying to protect teh bike

the only way to totally protect your bike is to not ride it. and that's not an option! frame sliders are the only protection that you need. stunt cages are more for protecting the engine, not the plastic.

Old 04-02-2006, 09:54 PM

You can also take the side fairings off and also the cowl piece behind the front tire, once the sides are off.

Old 04-02-2006, 11:25 PM
Ironmang
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: dwhite645

You can also take the side fairings off and also the cowl piece behind the front tire, once the sides are off.
That's exactly what I did, the night I got my bike I wanted to go practice in a parking lot (keep in mind I'd never ridden a bike before other than a dirtbike a few times). Soon as I got home I took all the fairings off and taped a bunch of shop rags over the stator cover and timing cover to try and help minimize scratches if I dropped it. Never did drop it though!!

But I'd just get frame sliders, they should be plenty sufficient to protect your fairings. You can get those extra long sliders too that stick out a couple inches. Ther's also bar end sliders and swingarm sliders too

Old 04-03-2006, 12:14 AM

ORIGINAL: thirdgenlxi

ORIGINAL: dwhite645

That's exactly what I did, the night I got my bike I wanted to go practice in a parking lot (keep in mind I'd never ridden a bike before other than a dirtbike a few times). Soon as I got home I took all the fairings off and taped a bunch of shop rags over the stator cover and timing cover to try and help minimize scratches if I dropped it. Never did drop it though!!

But I'd just get frame sliders, they should be plenty sufficient to protect your fairings. You can get those extra long sliders too that stick out a couple inches. Ther's also bar end sliders and swingarm sliders too
I read that extended sliders can either ruin your frame if torqued too much in a fall, or can result in the bike flipping over altogether... and I thought about taking the fairings off, but then it's easier to replace those than the frame and motor if you damage that. o_O I guess i'll just go with the regular sliders for now. i can evaluate if the 150$ cage is worth it after that.

who knows, maybe i just won't even drop the bike while learning.. *knocks on wood*

thanks for the advice

Old 04-03-2006, 02:06 AM

[/quote]
I thought about taking the fairings off, but then it's easier to replace those than the frame and motor if you damage that.

[/quote]

I meant that you could take off the fairings and use the frame sliders at the same time. Sometimes plastics can get banged up even with the sliders on. That way your clutch cover and stator cover will be ok. But, you're not going to fall, so which ever way should be fine [8D]

Old 04-03-2006, 03:00 AM

i have also heard ( dont know if this is true and would love to hear from someone who has expirenced this)but cages have a tendency to make the bike flip if you are going any decent amount of speed, this could cause more damage i would guess

Old 04-03-2006, 03:18 AM

ORIGINAL: NINE2NINE

the only way to totally protect your bike is to not ride it. and that's not an option! frame sliders are the only protection that you need. stunt cages are more for protecting the engine, not the plastic.
frame sliders and maybe some bar ends
or maybe even a tank pad if you want it

Old 04-03-2006, 04:25 AM

ORIGINAL: My02CBRF4i

i have also heard ( dont know if this is true and would love to hear from someone who has expirenced this)but cages have a tendency to make the bike flip if you are going any decent amount of speed, this could cause more damage i would guess
i'd believe it. i've heard stories of people with chrome frame sliders that caught in a slide and sent the bike soaring. some cages can have delrin pucks that can be added to the ends, which might help... but others don't.

i agree though, flipping bikes probably would cause more damage. i am no pro though.

Old 04-03-2006, 04:28 AM

ORIGINAL: The Batwing

frame sliders and maybe some bar ends
or maybe even a tank pad if you want it
[sm=smiley20.gif] thanks!

Quick Reply: n00b trying to protect teh bike