F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Mysterious gas leak(?)

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 11:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Mysterious gas leak(?)

Hi. I've searched though the forum looking for a clue regarding a gas leak on my 02 F4i. I started noticing gas fumes on occasion during rides about two months ago. I brushed it off to having "slightly" overfilled my gas tank on one fill up around that time. I ended up taking off the left fairing to check things out and clean up any gas residue on the 'foam' on the inner side of the fairing. After riding a few more times and bringing the tank to about one eighth capacity I was getting the bike ready again...started, on side stand...and I noticed gas dripping down onto the fairing from somewhere up and behind where the idle adjustment 'winder' is located (somewhere behind the thick frame). The next day I removed the fairings and lifted the tank to see what was going on underneath. All I could see was a dark stained area on the inner liner foam of the tank and a compressed area where the tank has been in contact with the rounded corner of the air box cover. There was clear evidence of something that had leaked but everything was dry at this point. Nothing was loose, no hoses were detached from anywhere, just the staining/discolouration in that specific area of the under surface of the tank. Next I peeled off the foam. I'm now in the process of removing all of the leftover adhesive residue so that I can see what the bare tank looks like - possibly a small fissure, pinhole -??? who knows...Anyway, thought I'd ask and see if anyone has any ideas of where the source of the gas could be and a possible solution to this 'mysterious' gas leak. Thanks.

Old 12-14-2018, 03:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like your fuel line under the tank has cracked or come lose somehow due to stress as it may have pressed against the air box. This’d only happen if the tank/air box is not sitting right somehow. I’d check the fuel lines.
i am unsure about a third possibility - this depends on how the breather channel inside the tank is? If it’s a metal channel then fine.if it’s a rubber hose then that can be cracked as well.

Old 12-14-2018, 07:04 PM

Thanks ceebeeaarguy. I will check where you have advised. Next thing I am set to do after repositioning things so I can see something...is to fire it up and HOPEFULLY see where the gas is leaking from. It's the pits not knowing since everything LOOKS fine...nothing is loose, split, cracked, worn or damaged.

Old 12-15-2018, 06:27 PM

Found the problem...fuel pressure regulator failure. Had a friend who is way more mechanically oriented than I check it out. He found the problem in just a few minutes. Thought at first it might just be the 'O' ring, but no...it was the regulator. I have ordered a new Honda part + 'O' ring so I should be good to go when those come in. No rush since can't ride much at the moment unless it warms up a little. I can take my time a put things back together over a few days.

Old 12-16-2018, 07:34 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great that you found it. But I’d imagine a problem with your for would manifest itself as poor idling or pooping running which is especially noticeable at low revs. Not sure if you experienced it. Anyways it’s a quick job once you have the new part. Good luck