CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Mysterious FI issue - Fuel related maybe? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/mysterious-fi-issue-fuel-related-maybe-124192/)

600F4inoober 04-20-2011 11:27 AM

Mysterious FI issue - Fuel related maybe?

Very odd. So it seems to ONLY happen at cold startup, or after the bike has sat for say 12+ hrs (overnight)..bc it hasent happened when I start her up after work (which it sits for say 9hrs)

I have a BMC filter, a bootleg slip on and a PC3 2 bro's map...works great with the bootleg (Got it from my buddy, and forum member here Axsys) At startup (cold), she'll fire right up and attempt to creep up from 1500rpm to the expected cold start 2000rpm...once she creeps up, You can hear the engine rpm and injectors adjust and the FI light comes on and the rpm (even cold) drops down to 1500rpm and pegs that never going higher...the FI light stays on the entire ride...

I've had the PC3 on there for months and this has never happened. Just recently, at cold startup (after the bike has sat over night) this FI issue has come up!

The only thing I can think of is this is a ECU having a conflict with the PC3? The bike runs flawless regardless but its almost like the ECU dosent know what to tell the injectors (theres a conflict) on cold startup as the PC3 is overriding it or something. What do you think?

schnezy 04-20-2011 11:33 AM

If I'm recalling right, when I was researching for something else someone had a similar issue and I think the problem was the Fuel Pressure Regulator.

Matt5606 04-20-2011 11:35 AM

Remove your PC and see if the problem goes away? It could be related to the problems you're having. I've read that they do some weird things when they start to fail.

600F4inoober 04-20-2011 11:39 AM

Thanks guys. Id be surprised if the FPR was going out with only 11k on the bike. I also find it hard to beleive that the PC3 is going kaput as there are no moving parts in it? Its just a chipset! The reason I say this is bc the idle is dead on perfect at 1500-1400 regardless 24/7..and this FI issue dosent happen everytime I ride home from work (bikes been sittin for 9hrs)..and the bike seems to run very strong otherwise!!!:icon_shrug:

Also, if it was the FPR, wouldnt I see negitive effects during riding, engine breaking and high revving? Im not seeing that
If the PC3 chipset is going out, it would have to be bc it may be vibrating in in the trunk 24/7!

R Dub 04-20-2011 12:01 PM

Blake you should have got the RR like I told you LOL. How easy is to to unplug the PCIII. If its easy I would try it just because you never know. I have not had a PCIII on any of my bike but I have heard they could do some screwy things to a bike. I would start there and if the FI light goes away then there is your answer and if not then you eliminated something and can keep looking.

Matt5606 04-20-2011 12:01 PM

No prob man with the help. According to the service manual, it says that if the FI light "stays lit", the possible causes are a short circuit in the service connector/wire, or faulty ECM.

600F4inoober 04-21-2011 11:28 AM

Didnt happen this morning:icon_playing::icon_shrug:

It fired up to 1500rpm...then slowly rose to 2000rpm (this is where ill hear the engine go "oh chit, getting a different parameters code" then drop to 1500rpm while still cold and the FI light will come and stay on....not today though, it just rose to 2000rpm then stayed until warmed:icon_razz: So SPORADIC!