F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

At my wits' end, can't get my 2002 CBR F Sport to start.

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2024 | 09:43 AM
|
Default At my wits' end, can't get my 2002 CBR F Sport to start.

Hi all,
I really hope someone here can help me, I've been trying to diagnose the issue for months. Here's the deets:
The bike ran perfectly for months then out of the blue it's wouldn't start, just kept cranking but wouldn't fire up. Next day tried and fired up straight away. Took it to work then back after, tried next day wouldn't start. Took 3 days of trying till it started again, took it for a run, started up fine several times that day but next day same issue. This time it took weeks of trying for it to start again. Now nothing. Just cranking till I drain the battery.
--- No Spark on all 4 spark plugs---
Checks done so far:
-Battery is good even bought new one just incase (fully charged over 24h) voltage well over 10.8 hitting starter.
-fuel pump Prims fine and injectors are clear.
-relays all tested and working fine
-cam pulse gen. Was faulty so replaced and tested (was so optimistic that I'd found the problem but sadly not), main pulse gen. Is fine
-stator and rectifier tested and fine
-tilt sensor has been bypassed and tested for continuity
-fuses all tested and fine
-tested the 4 ignition coils reading battery voltage when on but voltage drops when hitting starter (should be reading over 100v) trouble shooting says faulty ECU, (or I'm testing it wrong) bought a replacement ECU but still no luck.

I'm determined to get it back on the road because as the idiom goes - "when your bike is broken, you fix it. Because when you are broken your bike fixes you!", lucky I have a wee 125 to depend on for now but it's not the same.

Happy to start over from scratch with testing (pics and videos if needed) anything it takes, if someone is willing to help.

Thanks for just reading the above, hopefully my F4i saviour is on this forum.

Scott
​​​​

​​​​

Old Yesterday | 08:00 AM
Welcome crew

Just a thought, but from what you have described it is probably electrical in nature...
Have you check the side stand / clutch interlock circuit?

Old Yesterday | 08:08 AM
|

I've checked the kickstand up and down for continuity and seams fine, was planning to bypass it, just so it can be removed from the test list, and I'll test the clutch interlock circuit on my next day off, as soon as I find out what that is and how to test it lol, YouTube here I come.
Thanks for the advice, I'll post once these are done.
Scott

Old Today | 09:22 AM
Welcome crew

Please see below an extract from the workshop manual to possibles causes for now spark:

The following users liked this post:
Scott85 (Today)