F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

My Scorpio SR 500 SW Alarm review

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 09:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Scorpio SR 500 SW Alarm review

So yeah. I hooked the Scorpio SR 500SW (TRS 6 option) bike alarm and put it on my 2006 F4i.
You gotta protect your best friend some how from those rogue MF's on the street.
I ordered and installed the aditional perimiter sensor and Anti Hi Jacking / Ignition cut off modules !

Just wanted to share my first impressions and give you a small review of this imperative acessory
The installation wasn't difficult at all , but it took some time to get the job done right . You have to find just the right place under the seat for the main module and a good routing for the aerial because The 2- way range depands on it.

The alarm works just as advertised. All features work without any glitches .
I love to see the nosey onlookers that just get too close to the machine, jump up when the hear the alarm being activated by the perimeter sensor. I gotta video this. They're like, "that wasn't me !"

I kept the 2 way contact the bike when I went inside the supermarket and left the bike just outside of it. The engine cut off / anti hi jacking works great too.

I bathed the remote transceiver in the sink full of water. Yes it's 100% waterproof. I even armed my bike while the clicker was submerged in the water :P

I'm still testing the alarm, but so far I can tell you that I am ecstatic with the performance of my new protecitve toy that watches over my favorite "member of the family" :P

The alarm has a decent range ( nowhere near the advertised 1/2 mile distance. I kept in touch for about 160 yards in the parking lot and inside the supermarket)- Other thing I'd fix would also be the remote control's sounding by making it louder. On the other hand: the alarm's siren on the bike hurts the perp's ears !!! You just can't stand it ,you must, I repeat you have to move away from the motorcycle, unless you hearing impared than you can stay watch for an angry owner to emerge out of nowhere.

If you love your bike want to keep it, but sometimes you leave it unattened in the public eye , do yourself a huge favor and get this alarm with all the features without an further delay.

SR 500SW alarm , + disk lock + locking the wheel combo IMHO will keep your motorocycle safe in place , just where you left it. And I hope for that too

If I can I try to have a visual on the bike as well, but that not always available, that's where the 2-way feature kicks in .

Philnyc

Old 09-15-2007, 10:39 AM
Default RE: My Scorpio SR 500 SW Alarm review

Nice write up.. what was the cost ?? how much time did you spend on the installation ? any pictures of the install ? where did you put the siren ?
thanks a million.....

Old 09-15-2007, 12:53 PM

funny thing you mention it... i was also looking at alarms for my bike just this week. i was undecided on which one to go for... the gorilla or the scorpio. i first walked in cyclegear and ask them if they had any disc locks to stop ppl from moving the bike. but the guy said it's not worth it. they could just put it on skateboards and just roll your bike out =( so which brought up the alarm set up. this one looks pretty badass and he did recommend the scorpio. are there any other kinks in the device that you can find that someone may seem they could break the system? also how well does the 2way receiver work? does it transmit a signal effectively to your pager/receiver? where did you get yours?

Old 09-15-2007, 01:34 PM

Range of the remote: just think of it as a pretty good range alarm remote and you won't be disappointed. It wont wow you!

Alarm volume: I find it pretty disappointing (but I have the '06 model - maybe the latest version is better but I doubt it)

I have the TR5 remote and am pretty happy with it. I wonder how long the rechargable batteries will last in the TR6.

The custom wiring harness is a must

As far as any ways they can steal your bike--sure, just toss it into a pick-up truck! Nobody's gonna stop them unless you're very close by! The only sure way is a sturdy chain to a pole.

Old 09-15-2007, 02:05 PM

Nice write up.. what was the cost ?? how much time did you spend on the installation ? any pictures of the install ? where did you put the siren ?
I think I paid 337 for the alarm 24 for the wiring kit for the F4i ( it's a must , don't have to slice your turn signals wires and stuff, plug n' play sorta thing , get that too) 48 for the perimeter sensor , 28 for the Anti HI jacking module (all worth it !!! in a long run) . I don't think I broke any time records installing it. It took me 4 hrs to set it all up I called the scorpio tech support to find out where the ingition wire is located on the bike.
So you'll be taking your gas tank off or maybe you'll choose other way to get the the ignition wiring . I put the siren under the seat in the "center" sorta compartment up all the way to the divider for the next compartment.
I streatched the arerial all the way into the tail section. Don't tape it or mount it to the metal frame pieces, it will only decrease the reception. Maybe I'll film it and youtube it for ya guys ??

I don't know nothing about the kinks, or quirks, don't see any with this alarm . Just like amnesia says the only cons I can report is the low volume been on the remote. Range is satifactory . TR6 prolly sounds the same volume.

Re: the perimeter sensor: when I was adjusting the sensitivity , for some reason I think the system got fed up with the tunning it and stoped activating the alarm no matter what the setting was. I had to reset it by unplugging it from the rest of the system. I think the factory setting which is exactly right down the middle works best. You can cirmuferance the bike around the parking spot and it won't go off, but once you cross over to the bike's lanes you will hear not so welcoming warning. Then few more intense sounds and if you don't leave , the bike will go into full alarm mode without even touching it.

I tested all activating modes which are: Shock, Peremtere intrusion, Tilt, Bike battery cut off, Hi jacking mode, ALL WORK wonderfuly ,w/o any problems.
I wonder if I can get a case for the remote control, I'd hate to scratch it, it's so nice. I put some foil around it for now...
I don't know about how long the battery will last for. I'm running it on a single intitially fully charged battery since yesterday. I did turn it off for the night I think since I keep my bike in the garage . We'll see.
The manual tells you the initiall charging will take up to 10 hrs. Nah , it's was more like 6-7 hrs tops.

Old 09-15-2007, 02:06 PM

I bough it at www.imotoryclestore.com I think www.kneedraggers.com have a good price on it too, but I'm not sure if they have the new waterproof TRS6 remote.

Old 09-16-2007, 06:16 PM

I want to thank you for taking the time to write your review and answer my questions. I'm going to invest in one soon and I want to say - you just swayed my opinion towards Scorpio... Thanks a million.....

Old 09-19-2007, 05:23 PM

Hey , no problem dude. Glad I could be of assistance. I think you'll like it and it will serve you well. As far as how long the battery lasts on the remote; I've had it on during the day, off for the night and I'm still running full battery ( on the display) since the initial charge.

Old 09-19-2007, 09:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanx for the review i was looking into getting an alarm.

Old 09-19-2007, 11:17 PM

One thing I've noticed that despite scorpio's claims, the alarm seems to kill my battery regularly (and the alarm doesn't warn me of this situation like it's supposed to)!

Quick Reply: My Scorpio SR 500 SW Alarm review