F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

My radiator fan melted

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 09:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool My radiator fan melted

OK...so last Friday I was ridding home and after a good hour long 80-100mph cruising session I came to a stop at a red light that was a little longer than average. After sitting there for a couple of minutes the radiator fan came on as it's supposed to at 225 F. After it had been running for about 30 seconds, I started smelling burned plastic. Right the way i thought it was the fan melting/broke/rubbing or something along those lines. I looked at my temp and it was at 220F and the fan was still going so I didn't really pay much attention to it. Once I got home and got off the bike, the fan kicked on again since I stopped and my temp reached 225F again. So I proceeded to take my helmet off and that's when I heard the fan make rather interesting noises and then it all of the sudden stopped, but continued to make a high pitched noise almost like the motor was being obstructed from spinning. I knew something wasn't Kosher...

So the next morning I took the bike apart and as soon as I took the fan off the radiator, the fan blade fell into my hand. Well, as you can see from the pictures below, the middle of the fan blade melted and the nut was just spinning in the melted plastic. I have never seen anything like it! If you look closely on picture three you can see the melted plastic to the right of the whole where the shaft goes. I wonder what the hell caused it! Has this ever happened to anyone else?

I tested the motor, and the motor still works fine. I ordered a new blade and nut this morning. I'll keep you updated on how the repairs turn out...

Pic 1: Where the nut is supposed to sit
Pic 2: Nut not in the plastic fan
Pic 3: Melted fan

Attached Thumbnails My radiator fan melted-fan-apart-1.jpg   My radiator fan melted-fan-apart2.jpg   My radiator fan melted-fan-apart-3.jpg  

Last edited by axnst1; 09-07-2010 at 09:58 AM.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:15 PM

mine did the same thing when i first got my bike ,i wasnt able to use the fan cuz the motor was also out but if i was you i'd just buy a fan off ebay i got mine for 30 bucks s&H

it just seems that even once you rigg the fan blade back on that it'll do it again .....just buy the fan save some future work

Old 09-07-2010, 12:17 PM

^

also i still have my old fan if you need it for parts or anything can send to you if you want

Old 09-07-2010, 05:23 PM
Ironmang
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not that uncommon... mine has broken twice in that same spot. I've gotta pull the motor out and see if it's got some play in the motor shaft or something. Otherwise you can get metal replacement blades... I forget where though I can look when I get home, or just do a google search. It lists it as only up to F2 or F3, but it's the exact same blade.... F1/Hurricane - F4i blades all had the same part #

Old 09-08-2010, 07:58 AM

"also i still have my old fan if you need it for parts or anything can send to you if you want"

Thanks Crash, but I already order a new one!

"Otherwise you can get metal replacement blades..."

Darn it! I wish I would've known that before I ordered my new plastic ones! Could you please send me a link to the metal ones if you find it? I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks guys! It's riders like you that make this forum awesome!