F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

My quick Sprocket write up

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 05:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My quick Sprocket write up

When I inquired about hints for installing a -1 front sprocket on my '04, I got a few people interested to hear how it felt. So here you go, keep in mind this is just my experience, and could be completely different from yours.

I wrote a how-to-install, here is the link: https://cbrforum.com/m_388065/tm.htm

I can definitely feel a difference with just a -1 on the front. The big difference is mostly in the low to mid RPM range. After about 10k RPM's I can feel a definite lack of pull. previously the bike felt like it pulled hard, or at least equally all the way to redline, now on a hard accel, it pulls hard, then there is a definite point in the RPM where it just kind of feels like it stops pulling.

Everyone says that yes, you lose top end, and I was expecting to feel a bit, but what I felt was more than I expected. Also, I know my speedo is off but cruising at a constant speed, whether high-way or a nice long open back road, I felt myself usually being a gear higher and my RPM's still higher.

Overall, it pulls harder and accelerates harder in the low gears and through mid rpm's (up to about 10k). But the verdict is still out on how much I like it because it has a weird effect on cruising speeds. I'm sure I just have to get used to it though. I would recommend it.

Old 09-17-2007, 05:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: My quick Sprocket write up

i believe you've misunderstood the term "losing top end"...

what is meant is not power loss in the upper RPM...it's the loss of top speed.

as for any loss you feel (e.g. at 10K RPM as stated), it's nothing that wasn't there before. all you've done is geared it so that you hit your power at a lower speed.

Old 09-17-2007, 06:03 PM

I realised that, I guess i just mis-stated mt findings haha. I know my top speed is now lower. I guess what i meant to say was that because i reach power faster, the upper RPM range just feel less efficient... like there is less pull than there used to be

Old 09-17-2007, 06:41 PM

I have -1 in the front and I'm not sure what to think of it. It pulls more in the lower rpm's and I have to shift sooner. No idea about the loss of top end, it still goes fast enough. For the riding I do I'm not sure if it made that big a difference.

Old 09-17-2007, 06:46 PM

Hm, it's sad to hear that it pulls worse on higher rpms, it's where all fun was starting... I thought it would pull even better there.

Thanks for how-to.