F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

My first motorcycle crash

Old 06-26-2011, 04:36 PM
Default My first motorcycle crash

So this season is my third season, and i bought my CBR in January. Yesterday i unfortunately crashed it.

My brother and I went up north to Jack Trebour Motorcycles, from Philadelphia area. Directly there it's about 70 mile trip, but we were both riding there, so we went the more scenic twisty route, about a 90 bile route. Took us a little under 2 and a half hours to get there. It was a sweet trip up there, it was really my first time really letting the cbr loose and seeing what i could actually do on it. I didn't do to bad, it was a good day all around. I really was comfortable getting leans on it, and taking the bike in to corners.

We got to the Triumph Dealer to do a track day, and that turned out to be a lot of fun, and honestly when we got there i was exhausted. My wrists were tingling, my arms were sore, my shoulders hurt. i was pretty beat, but the day must go on. I was lucky to get on the Daytona 675 and loved the bike, really made me appreciate the cbr a little more too.

We headed back, but decided to take on this nice road around a huge lake to get some good riding in. Between getting lost a bunch of times, and not knowing where we were, that took about an hour of riding. Well worth it though, saw some nice roads, and twists there.

Next we headed to get some gas, and be on our way back home. I was exhausted, really tired. I'd never been out riding longer than 2 hours, and it was never even close to as hard of roads as we went on.

After a nearly 2 hours heading back, i was just spent, we got stuck on this 25 mph road behind these people going 25, and it was awful. Finally we stretched away and were approx. 30 min from home. We hit some twisties, and in to this sharp turn there was an awfully placed stop sign. I mean there was no intersection, nothing. Just a stupid private driveway, and they got a stop sign. Total bs. My brother went in to the the turn and i followed sharply, but i didn't realize a stop sign was there.

I saw he came to a stop and very heavily hit the brakes. I caught on, but the brakes just weren't good enough to bring me to a stop. I flew in to his rear. I flew off, hit the ground and the CBR fell over on to it's right side. Besides a few bumps and bruises i'm alright. I have to say my confidence is shot, and my first reactions was shellshock. I couldn't believe it.

My brother often pushed for me to get new brakes, saying they were worn out and not good enough, and i meant to order new ones, but life just kept coming up, and i'd forget to.

The damage is mainly cosmetic. The front fairing, and headlight are fairly busted up, the right side fairing has a nice gash on it. My right brake lever is bent and needs replacing, and the right footrest/brake needs to be replaced.

What sucks is i just got a new set of fairings, and the bike was looking so nice, it just hurt to see the plastic parts laying on the ground, and all that hard work.

Well the good thing is no one is injured, and everyone is safe. blah blah blah. it still sucks hardcore. haha

that's my story of my day yesterday.

Old 06-26-2011, 04:56 PM

At least you and your brother are alright. Motorcycles are expensive and dangerous, but are fun and enjoyable.

Take some time, get yourself together, then get your bike together and ride again. This time, don't take any chances and get the brakes fixed!

There is always a bright side to a story and yours is that you and your brother are walking.

Last edited by supersnake83; 06-26-2011 at 08:27 PM.
Old 06-26-2011, 06:56 PM

lucky nothing major happened to you. sorry to hear it though.

Old 06-26-2011, 07:22 PM

Glad to hear you're OK. Lesson learned: going into a blind curve on an unfamiliar road you never know what you might find, so proceed with caution.

My company's NJ office is about 3 miles from Trebour, so I'm out there a couple times a week.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:38 AM

Sorry to hear that man, it really does suck, especially since you just got those fairings on there. Glad to hear you're both in good shape physically and the bike's damage is just cosmetic. I know hindsight is 20/20, but brakes and tires are two things that really need to be at the top of anyone's priority list for their bike.

Originally Posted by Dragondima View Post
I flew in to his rear. I flew off, hit the ground and the CBR fell over on to it's right side.
I couldn't tell from the post, but did you actually hit your brothers bike?

Hopefully you can get it fixed up soon and get back on the road!

Old 06-27-2011, 11:56 AM

Glad you're ok. Sorry about your bike. Sounds like a little TLC will get it back to the way you want it.

Old 06-27-2011, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by supersnake83 View Post
At least you and your brother are alright. Motorcycles are expensive and dangerous, but are fun and enjoyable.

Take some time, get yourself together, then get your bike together and ride again. This time, don't take any chances and get the brakes fixed!

There is always a bright side to a story and yours is that you and your brother are walking.
+1
Couldn't have said it better.

Old 06-27-2011, 04:25 PM

Thanks guys! i appreciate all the support.

Now on to getting parts haha. Ordered levers off ebay, had good reviews, and good customer feed back figured that's cool, but now i need the right footpeg/brake set. Any suggestions?

Old 06-27-2011, 04:37 PM
Banned

Am I understanding correctly that you rode 2 and a half hours before doing a track day and then hit more twisties on a 2 + hour drive home??

That's a LOT of riding / effort for one day man.

Old 06-28-2011, 05:00 AM

^That's what it sounds like, and is a TON of hard riding.

Glad to hear you're OK, and in terms of repair, the only REAL damage is the plastics. Metal bits are cheaply replaced. GL

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My first motorcycle crash

Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.