CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   my first decent ride of my first season (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/my-first-decent-ride-my-first-season-105181/)

nokef4i 01-23-2010 09:42 PM

my first decent ride of my first season

yeah so my bro who sold me my f4i took me riding today and it went good beside me still getting used too the bike being its my first, had a great time learning to lean and riding 3 bikes deep was pretty kool cant wait for warmer weather being it was only 37 degrees today... but anyways was wondering if anyone had any advice for a new rider.. like riding advice, turns, what to look out for. etc. what ever it may be.. thanks guys hope to see everyone out there this summer here in newyork.... oh and me and my ppl ares planning a ride to myrtle beach this june any suggestions...

Elfling 01-23-2010 10:17 PM

If you haven't taken the MSF- take it :)

Other than that, just get out there and ride. Know your limits. Don't be afraid to say "you know, I feel off today" and turn around and go home. Don't ride with people who push you. Don't feel like you have to keep up with the more experienced riders or show off for anyone.

Kuroshio 01-23-2010 10:42 PM

What to look out for? Those big, shiny metal things piloted by iPhone wielding teenagers :p

Basically, work on your situational awareness as much as possible. You can do this driving your car. Keeping your eyes forward take in as much of the road as possible, only focusing on things when they require more attention than the overall view. And only briefly focusing (don't fixate) long enough to figure out what to do and to do it. Elfing mentioned the MSF and its something from the Basic Rider's Course, S.E.E: Search, Evaluate, Execute.

Also something you can do while driving a car: start giving the road conditions more of your attention. Noticed how little attention I really gave the road until getting back on a bike. Things like gravel or sand or oil I trusted my car's tires to glide thru are much bigger hazards for a bike. Especially in corners. But again, don't fixate. Just be aware and be prepared to handle them

Zero1080 01-23-2010 11:07 PM

Don't be out in cold temperatures ;) I saw that you said it's your first ride? I'd hope that it's just on the f4i, and not on a motorcycle, otherwise you're dumb.

But my bit of advice is definitely ride in your comfort level, like Elfing said. I don't know how many times I've gone out, seen other riders, and not ridden with them because they were being stupid.

Also, people WON'T see you. Think like that. Any time your around a car on your bike be aware that they most likely don't know you're there, and even if you're right beside them, still aren't looking for you. My favorite is when they make the left hand turn in front of you, and you get to cut over from the right lane, all the way to the far left, to avoid not getting hit.

bigboi18184 01-29-2010 02:21 AM

Had the same problem with people driving crazy. Got a couple nice places to ride down here in the south, had a group of about 13 gsxr's and busa pass me up doing over 100 one day. They were popping wheelies while passing me up. Got to the gas station and they asked if i wanted to ride with them lol, had to say no thx on that. Needless to say by the time i got to the interstate to head home a state trooper had a couple of them pulled over.

ButkoF4i 01-29-2010 07:43 AM

go ahead and replace the cctl(cam chain tensioner lifter) if it already hasn't been done..depending on the condition and milage on the bike it may start to go bad soon..you will hear a ticking sound coming from the throttle side of the engine near the cams on thop of the engine..mine went bad and sounded horrible..just like the other guys said stay alert..other people dont pay attention to you and watch for stuff in the road..

Bently600 01-29-2010 01:16 PM

- Practice emergency stops! you will need it.
- Read every post in this F4i forum... you will learn a lot about your bike.
- Don't look at the thing you are trying to avoid.... LOOK WHERE YOU WANT TO GO! (it really works)
- Use your horn a lot! if you are even a little suspicious of a cager not seeing you give them a honk. a little beep is not offensive and could save your life. (especially going through intersections)

gotcbr 01-29-2010 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Elfling (Post 876648)
If you haven't taken the MSF- take it :)

Other than that, just get out there and ride. Know your limits. Don't be afraid to say "you know, I feel off today" and turn around and go home. Don't ride with people who push you. Don't feel like you have to keep up with the more experienced riders or show off for anyone.

+1. The MSF can actually be lots of fun while you're learning. I whole heartedly recommend it.

Stay in your comfort zone. Ride your own ride. The experience will come.

Be safe.