F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

my first accident....HURTS BAD

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 02:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: my first accident....HURTS BAD

one more thing.....since im not really mechanically inclined....my stator cover got a bit of rash on it. i was wondering, if i undo the bolts on the cover.....what exactly is in there? is there oil or fluids that will spill out if i pull that cover? or can i just do a simple bolt off/bolt on switch out for a new cover? thanks

Old 11-28-2006, 02:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last time that happened to me I was going almost straight, but it was a drain-cover (manhole-cover) that did it I believe. Dunno why they put those in the middle of intersections. A little slip is all it takes. Now I avoid those religiously.

Old 11-28-2006, 03:06 PM

Sounds like you weren't counter positioning yourself off the seat for the slow "parking lot" manuveur. You might have been going 20MPH when you entered the round about, but I'm sure you weren't going that fast when you executed your U turn. You might have used the front brake and caused the bikes front end to dive down. This will throw you off balance even more.

I'm not a believer of the cold tire effect, but you might have hit some gravel or a wet spot. While there are certain situations where a cold tire might causes problems, I do not believe that riding down the street and making a basic slow manuvear is one of the situations. I think people use it as a catch-all. They don't know what happen, so it must be the cold tires. There is no way they could have done something incorrectly.

Oddly enough, the first day I rode a motorcycle, I did the exact same thing. I went to make a U turn and the next thing I know, I was picking the bike off the ground. Don't let it keep you down. I wouldn't be in a hurry to replace all the damaged parts either. Keep riding it for a few more months, then worry about replacing items. People drop bikes, and it usually happens in the first few months.

Old 11-28-2006, 03:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: lifties

I'm not a believer of the cold tire effect, but you might have hit some gravel or a wet spot. While there are certain situations where a cold tire might causes problems, I do not believe that riding down the street and making a basic slow manuvear is one of the situations. I think people use it as a catch-all. They don't know what happen, so it must be the cold tires. There is no way they could have done something incorrectly.
umm...cold tires will cause your rear or front to wash out at speeds less than 5 mph...you better believe it or else you will go down real soon as winter is very close. don't dish out bad advice.

just chill when riding in the streets...too much uncontrollable factors.

Old 11-28-2006, 03:36 PM

ORIGINAL: Tahoe SC

umm...cold tires will cause your rear or front to wash out at speeds less than 5 mph...you better believe it or else you will go down real soon as winter is very close. don't dish out bad advice.

just chill when riding in the streets...too much uncontrollable factors.

+1 i know from first hand and seen a few squids fall to this

Old 11-28-2006, 05:45 PM

Don't let it keep you down. I wouldn't be in a hurry to replace all the damaged parts either. Keep riding it for a few more months, then worry about replacing items. People drop bikes, and it usually happens in the first few months.
+1

i just dropped my bike(as some of u might kno from reading my latest post) and am only fixing it up to legal/safe standards, no need to fix the scratches and minor dents...they suck, but i kno i will prob drop it again a few times

Old 11-29-2006, 02:56 AM
Banned

There is a book that every rider should read called, "Twist Of The Wrist."

The author explains what I think is exactly what happened to you.

He says that bike weight needs to be distributed 40/60 (front/rear) in conrnering. I'm guessing that you backed off the throttle unecessarily in the turn (most riders realize they didn't need to back off almost immediately after doing so), and you caused the bikes balance to shift to the front.

Bikes are meant to be in motion for maximum stability, that's why it's always best to be in gear, and throttling through a turn - not hammering it, but a controlled, even throttle. When you back off the throttle even for a second, you throw everything off. Also, as a side note, it's always best to be in gear and in control of the bike when turning in case you need to make an evasive move... not related but kind of

Anyway, check out that book, and READ it. No matter how long you've been riding, I bet you'll come awat from it with something you didn't know that will help you.

Glad to hear you're okay, now get healed and get back on two wheels man!

Old 11-29-2006, 03:28 AM

hope you heal up

Old 11-29-2006, 09:23 AM

Almost did the same thing on a round about 3 weeks ago. I know tires were warmed up. If yours are like ours there is a sh*t load of paint on the ground to show dumasses what direction to go and I got into a bad position on the bike trying not to get wheels on paint that maybe slick. The moral is just slow down. They look like knee draggin fun, but sure ain't designed for bike on the surface.

Old 11-29-2006, 08:18 PM

ORIGINAL: hopkinslax12

... i had JUST left the gas station 5 minutes ago from filling it properly......WHAT HAPPENED????
You could've rolled through some oil or gas in the gas station. It's not uncommon for a little pool of gas to be left if someone goofs during a fillup. Also (and I've done this to myself) if you overfill a F4i the drain tube leaves a perfect puddle of gas for your rear tire to roll through.

Quick Reply: my first accident....HURTS BAD