F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

my first accident....HURTS BAD

Old 11-28-2006, 03:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my first accident....HURTS BAD

guys--the title says it all. i hit the ground for the first time tonight, been riding about 4 months now (2000 miles) and damn does this suck.....thankfully i had proper gear on (though i forgot my gloves) so my hands are rashed and my knee hurts like a bitch! i'll post pics later but the reason i write this (on my sitll bloodied hands) is i want to figure out what happened to me. i was doing about 25 through a round about. first to the right to get into it, then to the left. when i brought it over to the left, you have to get a decent tilt on the bike because round abouts are sharp, so i did. and the bike just felt like it went a little too far and i couldn't counter steer it back up. it just slammed down from the lean it was in. i KNOW it wasn't my tire pressure as i had JUST left the gas station 5 minutes ago from filling it properly......WHAT HAPPENED???? the adrenaline has my memory phucked so i don't know....was i going to fast? suspension not stiff enough? was i not going fast enough? how do i keep this from happening again because this scared the **** out of me. though not enough to stop riding, also. do i need to get the bike checked to make sure its straight or whatever?

Old 11-28-2006, 03:56 AM
Default RE: my first accident....HURTS BAD

That sucks, heal up quick!
Just a guess, but sounds like you were over too far for the slower speed and also maybe the tires were cold still. Hard to say. Must have just given out, maybe gravel even. If you couldn't counter steer it back up sounds like by that time your front tire already gave out and was starting to go over.

Old 11-28-2006, 03:58 AM

sorry to hear that not sure why you went down maybe a combo of cold roads and cold tires but side note from your name i am thinking you are from md and was curious what round about you went down in

Old 11-28-2006, 10:22 AM
stx

heal up quick, and remember to get back on the horse. since you have only been riding for four months have you had a chance to take the basic rider course that most states offer thru the motorcycle safety foundation? I know basic is in the title but it covers the fumdamental riding techniques that you use every day, Iv'e had alot of experienced riders come thru the course and they always take something with them.
Dave
Rider Coach MSP

Old 11-28-2006, 12:21 PM

no--im actually in texas (austin). i was supposed to go to hopkins for school but wound up at ohio state instead. and yes i took the MSF course before i got my license.....what i gather so far is the tires were cold? and or i was going too slow?.....how long must one ride before the tires "warm up" ?

Old 11-28-2006, 12:37 PM

yo hopkinz, im in texas too and me and some of my buddies are probably gunna roll threw that part of town! well heal up quick man, was this in the morning perhaps, what kind of tires you runnin?? could have been mildew on the side of your tires, happened to me once it sucks but **** happens and you learn from your lessons!

Old 11-28-2006, 12:51 PM

while im on the subject.....does anyone know where i can get a good cheap tail fairing for an '05 preferrably in silver... as that was the only piece of plastic that was badly damaged (thank god from frame sliders!)

Old 11-28-2006, 12:54 PM

you cant fix it? and ebay ebay ebay =]

Old 11-28-2006, 01:03 PM
Banned

My guess is too slow or something in the road like oil or antifreeze. I'm still a noob (5500 miles since last december) and I find myself needing to power out of turns (more agrressively than usual) at times because I'll let my speed drop or that I have been 'too careful', given the crown in the road, your lean angle may have been much more than you realize. My other thought is your seating position, maybe too much head lean or something like that, that could have made the 'too slow' situation worse. Sorry to hear about your injuries, heal up quick.

Old 11-28-2006, 01:55 PM
Retired Moderator

If you had just left the gas station five minutes before the accident, I would suspect the tires were still cold. I would tend to think there were other factors, too. Sorry about the accident, we ALL hate to hear about them. What about the bike? Is it in decent shape? I guess we'll know better when you post those pics.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: my first accident....HURTS BAD