CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   My experience changing the CCTL (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/my-experience-changing-cctl-127845/)

kazspeed 07-05-2011 08:46 PM

My experience changing the CCTL

... Will post details tomorrow. I think some key details are left out of some of the how to's.

Just finished, took me about 3 hours. Wayyyy to f'ing tired to post details now, stay tuned tomorrow and I'll give you my experience and thoughts on changing this.

Honda125 358 07-05-2011 10:06 PM

Mine wasn't too bad...but I did mine about 3-4 weeks ago and haven't ridden the bike since...why? Because I wanted to clean it real good...then I bought an undertail....and tires...and hid's...and more goodies....

WARNING!!! doing the cam chain tensioner will result in temptation to rip the whole bike apart!

vegas_rebel 07-05-2011 10:07 PM

I feel ya, Kaz. It was a royal PITA the last time I did it.

kazspeed 07-06-2011 07:27 AM

First off, a big thanks to Pittsm and his How-To as this is the one I beleive is most thorough and it really helped me out--

link - https://cbrforum.com/forum/how-mecha...l-pics-116975/

In all honesty, changing this thing sucks. The cctl is put in a position that is almost impossible to work at, but the right tools get the job done. My first point, if you do not have the EXACT tools needed, DO NOT ATTEMPT TO CHANGE THIS. You won't be able to. Do some homework and get the right tools. I used the 1/4" drive, 4-6" extension, 45 degree attachment, to a 1/4" to 3/8", to a 5mm hex key. The hex key was tough to find but Sears ended up being the only place I could find it at.

Even with these tools, it is a very tight space to work in so at times it took me up to 15 minutes just to get the hex key into the nut. Frustrating yes, so my second point. HAVE PATIENCE. This is not a 15 minute fix, it really takes a lot of playing around with to get the tool in the right position.

Getting the old CCTL out is a big relief, but do not get ahead of yourself. In my opinion getting the new CCTL in is more of a frustration. Again, positioning your hands, the tools, and trying to keep the new CCTL in place while trying to screw it in will take patience because it is a very tight space.

Once you get to the point of having both hex screws in, I thought the most difficult part of the whole thing was putting the middle bolt it. For the life of me, I could not get my hands and the screw in the right position to put the screw in. That is why you need a really nice girlfriend to come out and lend a hand. In 6'3" and there was no way I could fit my hands in there.

I also urge anyone to NOT start this project unless you have a magnet to retrieve things in small places. I dropped the middle bolt probably 3 times on the top of the engine and without that tool theres no way a midget could get their hands in there.

All of this being said, I started up my bike, revved it through 7k rpm, and it sounded like Heaven. All I can hear now is my exhaust and its like having a new bike. I drove around town for a few and realized I am still in the habit of shifting before I start to hear that rattle.

To anyone hesitant about doing this, I can tell you that even though this took me a few hours and was frustrating at times, I do not see why anyone would bring their bike to a shop to do this. IMO, if you own a bike, you should learn how it works and learn to be self sufficient with it. This repair does not need a a technical background, even if you do not understand what a CCTL is, if you have the right tools and do your homework on how to change it, DO IT YOURSELF.

:icon_bike::icon_bike::icon_bike:

600F4inoober 07-06-2011 09:35 AM

Thanks for the feedback and tools needed Kaz-

Beware though...the OEM auto CCTL's are very unpredictable on when they will go out...my brand new J24 version went out in 2800 miles. YEP 2800 miles. It was like butter until then.

I AM MOST DEF DOING A MANUAL APE WITHIN THE WEEK. No more of the OEM Auto crap. They are junk.

As far as the process just take your time...A buddy of mine swapped mine within 25minutes : ) He's done quite a few! A special shout out Axsys!

kazspeed 07-06-2011 09:56 AM

I'm going to take a gamble on the auto and see what happens...

Although I wish someone knew the variable on why some j24's go out and other work fine indefinitely.

Any guesses?

f4izombie 07-06-2011 10:20 AM

I replaced th cctl on my bike 2 monthes ago with a oem part and after about 3k miles I am starting to hear/feel the rattle agian ;( I will deffinatly be going with a manual cctl in the near future..