F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

My Chain Snapped While Riding!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 10:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

o snap! haha sorry.

i would like to hear more about this. what chain is on there? (stock or aftermarket and what brand) how many miles on it?

Old 03-02-2009, 12:28 PM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RojerLockless
well judging by how rusty that sprocket is it looks like you never lube your chain. I'm really glad you didnt crash but I bet from now on you check your chain and lube it more often lol

um, yes well, that's him told!! ..lol

actually you may be doing him a disservice, if you look carefully at the visible teeth they look fine and the chain is not rusty at all ... often the front sprocket will get some light surface rust on it's surface as it's not that accessible normally and can look worse than it really is ... also a lack of lube shouldn't cause it to snap, no ... something went seriously wrong here and I would definitely want to know where and why this chain broke ... was it a split link or a badly rivetted master link or did it just snap in the middle for no reason.

Jules

Old 03-02-2009, 12:47 PM

Juliet is right about the sprocket. They are often found with surface rust on them, they are steel. You can have a properly mainatained chain and rusty sprocket. More than likely if he did not have a clip master link, I would say he had a very loosr chain. That can be a big problem. I'm not saying he neglected to keep up on maintence,it could be that he had a tire changed and some moron did not adjust it properly.

Old 03-02-2009, 01:52 PM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

My stock DID died right around 20,000miles on my 06 f4i. I was really broke so I bought a cheap ebay 525, clip link and all. re-used the stock sprockets as they were not worn. That ebay chain lasted 2 weeks and about 500miles before it snapped a roller pin in half going down a back road at "higher" speeds. Lucky for me it just spat out the rear onto the ground. The clip link was still there, no problems! lol I was shifting from 2nd to 3rd and thought I had a false neutral until all 6 gears weren't working. Make sure you get a good replacement setup. I didn't skimp this time and feel much better for it.

Old 03-02-2009, 10:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well if your DID DIeD, and it looks like thats what he had that snapped, (from what I can make out in the pics) I'd have to say STAY AWAY from those guys. Cant speak from experience, I've never used them. Had good experience with my RK XW (so far) so I'll stick to what I know.

Old 03-02-2009, 10:54 PM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent

Well if your DID DIeD, and it looks like thats what he had that snapped, (from what I can make out in the pics) I'd have to say STAY AWAY from those guys.
Funny, that same thought crossed my mind... lol.

Old 03-03-2009, 12:23 AM

I went with RK and Vortex Sprockets. I have put 10,000 miles on them and they are still running strong.

Old 03-03-2009, 01:05 AM

Sorry, but I haven't really had time to take a real good look at it because I'm still a student and have been very very busy. However, when I got home today I saw my dad trying to get the chain off by cutting it. The center bolt was also off, but it didn't do anything, the jammed chain is still keeping everything in place very securely. My dad said that he had been cutting the chain for a good hour and a half and he BARELY managed to cut a couple halves off the chain. That chain is super tough so I have no idea how it snapped. I'm going to have to look for the master link when I have time. If it isn't there I'm going to assume that's what broke off. I'll report back asap. And thanks everyone for all your help!

Last edited by Dominate.; 03-03-2009 at 01:08 AM.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:00 AM

Whats he cutting with? a butter knife?

Old 03-03-2009, 06:38 AM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Chain sideplates are made out of hardened steel with very high tensile strength ... I can imagine he is just blunting hacksaw blade after hacksaw blade on it ...lol

Jules

Quick Reply: My Chain Snapped While Riding!!