CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   My bike won't start after changing the headlights (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/my-bike-wont-start-after-changing-headlights-154376/)

Kent Yeung 04-22-2016 07:14 PM

My bike won't start after changing the headlights

Hi all. It's my first post here and i am also new to motorcycle.

I know there is many "bike won't start" posts in the past, and I have read many of them, but I still couldn't get my bike to start, so hopefully you all could help me out

2005 CBR 600 F4i

after I change the headlight bulbs for low and high beam, the bike just keep cranking but wont start. After a few tries, battery died.

After that, I use a jump start battery to jump start it. After a few more tries, same happened. By that time, I noticed that the pump is not prime with kill switch to on or off position. Not sure about the first few tries about the prime is on or off

when I turn to on in ignition, the gauge light is on. the speedometer will go from high to low as usual. But,

1- both high and low beam is not on, as well as the front side blinkers. However, the back blinkers is fine.

2 - the high beam indicator is always on regardless of the position of the headlight switch.

3 - the red indicator is on (not sure what its call). I am also not sure if this is normal.

What I have done so far:

1 - double check the fuse under the seat.

2 - try to make sure all the plugs the connected tightly.

3 - I tried to by pass the BAS by unpin the two outside wires and put them togeter, but I am not sure should I also try bridge them before the coupling.

4 - I tried to open the kill switch cover but failed. After I remove the two screws on the bottom, it still feels pretty tight, so I am a little afraid that I would break it if I force too much on it.

I was suspecting the BAS before, but after I try to bypass it, and it still do nothing.

What I am thinking is I think it has something to do with the BAS circuit loop since all the components in that loop is not working, but I just not sure which one should I go next.

Any suggestion?

Thanks in advance!!

74demon 04-22-2016 08:11 PM

Why don't your new headlights come on?

The circuit for the pump runs through the low beam, if I remember correctly.

Kent Yeung 04-22-2016 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by 74demon (Post 1295146)
Why don't your new headlights come on?

The circuit for the pump runs through the low beam, if I remember correctly.

Thanks for your quick reply

I tried putting the old bulbs back in but still the same.

PodGod23 04-23-2016 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by Kent Yeung (Post 1295155)
Thanks for your quick reply

I tried putting the old bulbs back in but still the same.

First make sure ur battery is fully charged. If so, take apart the start button switch on the handlebar. Make sure all sloder points have good connection and no wires are loose.

Kent Yeung 04-24-2016 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by PodGod23 (Post 1295165)
First make sure ur battery is fully charged. If so, take apart the start button switch on the handlebar. Make sure all sloder points have good connection and no wires are loose.

last time when I tried to open the starter switch, I unscrew the two screws underneath.

When I try to pull up to open the top cover, I felt like there is some resistant pulling it back, but I look around it and still can't find any screw beside the two I unscrewed.

Is the resistant normal? Should I just pull harder to open it?

Kent Yeung 04-24-2016 01:42 AM

Also, I talked to the previous owner and he told me last time he has the same issue, and what he did was he tighten the wiring harness on the left close to the intake.

He told me to turn the ignition on then keep pressing on the harness until I hear the fuel pump prime again. I tried to tighten it many times but still dont work. I still want to look into the kill switch wiring though. Can someone conform me do I have to un bolt anything besides the two screws on the bottom?

THanks

PodGod23 04-24-2016 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by Kent Yeung (Post 1295166)
last time when I tried to open the starter switch, I unscrew the two screws underneath.

When I try to pull up to open the top cover, I felt like there is some resistant pulling it back, but I look around it and still can't find any screw beside the two I unscrewed.

Is the resistant normal? Should I just pull harder to open it?

Yes, just gotta work at separating the two halves. Remember, the throttle cable is gonna gove some resistance.

Kent Yeung 04-24-2016 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by PodGod23 (Post 1295168)
Yes, just gotta work at separating the two halves. Remember, the throttle cable is gonna gove some resistance.

so do I have to loosen the throttle cable before pulling the cover?

Kent Yeung 04-24-2016 07:09 PM

I finally got my bike to start now!!

What I did was I tried to squeeze the main harness around the left headlight, and suddenly the fuel pump prime, and I am able to start the bike.

Like the previous owner said, I think it is because some loose wires in the harness, but I think I am gonna leave it as is until next time it fail again

Thank you so much for all of you who help me out on this

rfesu 04-26-2016 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Kent Yeung (Post 1295181)
Like the previous owner said, I think it is because some loose wires in the harness, but I think I am gonna leave it as is until next time it fail again

for the purpose of safety, i'd recommend that you fix the problem. an electrical problem solved by wiggling things is going to come back. you don't want your bike to cut out in the middle of a hard corner or when you go over a bump, do you?