F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

is my bike running hot or is it normal

Old 03-22-2009, 02:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is my bike running hot or is it normal

i just bought an 01 f4i last week and i rode it a couple of times no problems well today i sat in a lot of traffic and the bike got up to 225 degrees then the fan kicks on and it brings it back down to like 220-222 i was really worried about it so i got it on an open road and ran it for a little while and it cooled right back down to like 175 in like 2 minutes is this normal to get that hot or is there something wrong
also i looked up in the owners manual to see if it said what temp the fan should kick on at and it dont say all it says is a light will pop on if the bike gets over 250 degrees

all help is appreciated

Old 03-22-2009, 02:20 PM

Perfectly normal the fan kicks in around 230 degrees. You are fine all these bikes run this hot. Its a little cooler on the highway, or when its really cold out you would be around 180ish but anything under 230ish is pretty regular

Old 03-22-2009, 03:06 PM

I also think the same thing. It can get up there. I plan on changing my coolant to engine ice. Just makes ya nervous sometimes.

Old 03-22-2009, 09:19 PM

is that "engine ice" available at regular pep-boys or auto-zone's?
i'd never heard of it but i'd like to swap it out for the regular stuff too.
is it safe for our 2 wheeled rides though?

Old 03-22-2009, 09:23 PM

My fan used to come on around 223 or so. Today I just noticed it is not coming on at all. I let it get up to 238 and the fan never came on. I checked all the fuses under the seat and they were all good. There is a fan switch on the radiator right? how can I tell if this is bad? Any other ideas on what it could be?

Old 03-22-2009, 09:26 PM

I believe i saw it at a bike shop. Cant find it any where else.. i might have to order it online. here is a faq. http://www.engineice.cc/faq.html

Old 03-22-2009, 09:47 PM

Yeah, it is totally normal for those temperature ranges. My 06 F4i's fan kicks in around 220ish, and shuts off a minute or so later. It'll kick in while I am riding, but once I get it up to speed, the faster I go, the quicker my temperature lowers because more air is rushing into the vents to cool the engine down.

It short....perfectly normal!

Old 03-27-2009, 07:08 AM
Question

Originally Posted by wannaride
My fan used to come on around 223 or so. Today I just noticed it is not coming on at all. I let it get up to 238 and the fan never came on. I checked all the fuses under the seat and they were all good. There is a fan switch on the radiator right? how can I tell if this is bad? Any other ideas on what it could be?
Hi, I installed a manual switch as I am not sure if my thermo switch is working...
I newer let my bike over 110 deg C (230 deg F). When I asked around, few guys said that I could let it up to 115 deg C (239 deg F) and nothing should happen to the engine.
Can you tell us if you noticed anything unusual with your engine after you reached 238?
Regards,

Old 03-27-2009, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by wannaride
If you disconnect the ground wire from the fan switch(the little sensor near the fan) and use a "jumper wire" to ground it out while the bike is running it will finish the circut and the fan will start...if your fan motor is good that is...if the fan turns on that indicates a faulty fan switch...hope this helps

Old 03-28-2009, 03:17 PM

its nice to see that my bike isnt the only one that gets sort of 'hot'.

my problem was that when i first got the bike, it never went over 226-227...then a hose blew, (faulty hose) i changed it and now it goes up to 230-231...i thought this was a problem, but maybe not?

anyway, im going to take it down to honda at some point and let them change the coolant and bleed the system. i dont think i got all of the air out of the system.

I read that the bike will automatically shut down at 240. so i figure that as long as it doesnt get that hot, im okay.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: is my bike running hot or is it normal