F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

MY 600 F4i is running terrible

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 07:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY 600 F4i is running terrible

MY 2002 600 F4i keeps cutting out, I am not sure why it is happening. In the summer the bike would sometimes hiccup. Now since the weather has gotten a bit colder my bike will hiccup and then the engine will just shut off completely. The Honda dealer said that i need to upgrade my ECU, I do not think this is the problem since all I have is a Scorpion slip-on. Has this happened to anyone or does anyone have any suggestions??

Old 01-28-2007, 10:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: MY 600 F4i is running terrible

You might need to describe the problem a little more in detail to get an answer... it could be anything from a wiring problem to the kickstand switch to an engine problem.
There was a thread a couple days back about the engine dying, the guy also mentioned that his bike was running very rich, low mileage... problem was probably 'return fuel regulator'
For starters I'd say check your oil level, see if the exhaust fumes look/smell different (dont take a whiff from the exhaust LOL)... if everything looks fine use seafoam in the tank to clean out the engine!
Does it die when engine's cold? stopped? when you roll on the throttle?

Upgrade the ECU? They make newer ECUs for the 2002?

Old 01-28-2007, 11:07 PM

Honda says you need to upgrade your ECU? I've heard of reflashing you ECU on cars before but not bikes, first step would be to check stupid things like loose connectors and battery connections. My buddy's bike was doing the same thing and we found the ground terminal loose on the battery. Do you lose power completely when it stalls, or does the bike stall and restart o.k. right away?

I would ask Honda what they mean by "upgrading you r ECU", there could be a known fault in programming of the computer that Honda knows about and this may be what is causing your problem. As a automotive mechanic I have seen this many times in cars. Hope this helps Good Luck

Old 01-29-2007, 01:31 AM

check your vacum hoses

Old 01-29-2007, 01:58 AM

I am going to try and explain a little better in detail on what has been happening with my bike. I first noticed it during the summer and what i noticed mostly was under acceleration that my lights and gauges would dim and i could feel the bike "hiccup". It got worse then as it got colder out and frequently when i accelerated the bike would cut out and slow me down and the lights and gauges started to dim a lot more. Now it has gotten to the point when I accelerate andit starts to hiccup the engine shuts off unless i release the throttle quickly and then get on it again. The other night, I let my bike warm up for 15 minutes then as soon as i put it in gear it stalled out. Then, i started the bike back up the engine was running butmy headlights did not turn on. So, i turned the bike off and started it again in which case the headlights turned on(this is the only time it has ever happened). Also, I noticed that when the bike shuts off and i try to start it againthetach doesnt alwaysgo through the RPMs to show that thebike is ready to start in which case i have to wait about 30 seconds and turn the key again in which case the tach will then go through the RPMs and show me that I can start my bike. Thanks for thesuggestions, any other ideas??

Old 01-29-2007, 02:09 AM

The mechanic said that the bike was doing this because of the slip-on exhaust and i was under the assumption when he said the computer can't handle it, i thought he meant that a power commander would fix. I mean come on does the mechanic honestly think that by adding a power commander that the bike will run ok? I purchased the bike with the slip-on already installed and had no problems with it for the first couple months i owned it.

Old 01-29-2007, 12:54 PM
Official Welcome Crew Junkie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like maybe generator/rectifier or maybe even the battery might have a bad cell in it. Definitely electrical from what you described,could be ECU.

Old 01-30-2007, 03:17 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's definately electrical. You may have to trace the self-check circuitry. ECU swap may fix. I'd recommend checking your battery terminals, voltage under load and idle speed prior to springing for the ECU, they can be pricey.